Garage door remote on phone

AlexGhe

Hi,

In my building a garage door was installed for the underground parking, and everyone received a remote.

The problem is this remote is gigantic, as big as my hand (not very big hands though), I really don't want to have to carry it around, my car key is big enough already being an aftermarket copy.

Is there any way I can copy this remote on my phone and use my phone as remote? I mean including some usb addon. I don't mind a small thing at the end of my smartphone to act as signal copier and transmitter.

I have a OnePlus 7 Pro, and I'm attaching pictures of the remote.

Thanks.

IMG_20210624_193532.jpg

IMG_20210624_193515.jpg

31 minutes ago, AlexGhe said:

I really don't want to have to carry it around, my car key is big enough already being an aftermarket copy.

I mean, you'll only ever need to open that door from your car so just leave it in the vehicle?

1 minute ago, akio123008 said:

I mean, you'll only ever need to open that door from your car so just leave it in the vehicle?

wouldn't that mean that if my vehicle is ever stolen, they automatically gain access to the entire parking lot?

Just now, AlexGhe said:

wouldn't that mean that if my vehicle is ever stolen, they automatically gain access to the entire parking lot?

I mean I really don't think this is hard to copy, looks like a very basic remote. But still, auto access to the parking lot, and now they know exactly where to hit because the registration address is easy to find.

5 hours ago, AlexGhe said:

Yeah oh well, I guess that depends how worried you are about your car getting stolen.

But then also, your neighbours also have these transmitters, how do you know they care as much about security as you do? Pretty good chance they leave it in their cars too.

8 hours ago, akio123008 said:

Yeah oh well, I guess that depends how worried you are about your car getting stolen.

But then also, your neighbours also have these transmitters, how do you know they care as much about security as you do? Pretty good chance they leave it in their cars too.

I don't care what they do, I want something that I don't have to hide in my car and rummage about for it.

There's also the danger of the inside battery leaking. The summers in Romania are pretty bad, left my car in the sun last summer with a thermometer inside and it registered 70*C. Alkaline batteries start leaking after 55-60 in my limited experience.

I keep finding lots of lots of Type-C infrared remotes, but does no one make an RF one?

At least I think it's RF, since the frequency is only 433.92MHz

• 2 weeks later...

Modern fobs have rolling codes and are specific to the manufacturer, you won't find some generic USB interface.

There are ways, you can get IoT devices to control a garage door. Typically a device will have a relay contact that connects to gate motor/control board.

There are 2 issues though

1. Not your door, therefore you do not have access or permission to install a device in the first place or program in another fob or really do anything.

2. Safety and security. The ability to control a door remotely from conceivably anywhere opens up a can of worms. There is much more safety risk and really need at a minimum more sensors and safety functions to try and prevent operation that may injure or damage.

Also from a security perspective you are potentially opening up the ability for hacking, exploits and other ways to breach your security, also building management or other owners/tenants may not be happy with you having alternative access.

It's fairly typical to leave a fob in your car, different risks vs on your keys, someone can steal your keys also and there are ways to get a door open.

You could request the Era Intri fob if compatible be programned in. Quite a bit smaller.

Also may be a model with cradle or clip that can mount in your car.

@AlexGhe

Yeah I agree with what he ^ said. It might be a fun project (wasnt there an LTT video or six about this exact thing and how difficult it is?) but if you don't own the opener it's much harder/illegal. Just leave it in your car if it's so big. Do people have their cars stolen or lose their keys more frequently?