Using solid diamond as a cooling solution

PatL

I saw this YouTube vid from Steve Mould and he literally cuts ice with a blunt diamond sheet because it’s such a great thermal conductor. Could you do this with a cpu. Could you use industrial diamonds as a heat interface?

https://youtu.be/mnDx7GDT7Pc

ICdiamond actually has crushed up Diamonds in its thermal paste because of this. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Yes but could you use a sheet of industrial diamond as a heat spreader?

1 minute ago, PatL said:

if you could get it thin and flat enough, I don't see why not. They use Graphene pads as well. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

20 minutes ago, PatL said:

Probably but think of the cost of the raw material and then the machining

Yes, e6 makes them; I don't know if anyone else does. They're meant for applications where you can bond the heat spreader directly to the heat source and heatsink. A very large computer company (won't say who) was considering using something similar for one of their products a while back, but as far as I know nothing came out of it. Unless you have the ability to directly attach the heat spreader to the die, there's not much thermal advantage over using a conventional TIM to connect to heat pipes. Something a manufacturer selling an expensive chip can afford to do, but not something the average consumer would benefit from anytime soon.

12 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

if you could get it thin and flat enough, I don't see why not. They use Graphene pads as well. 

Unless something big has changed since last time I looked, they don't make sense for a CPU cooler. Graphene is only highly conductive in-plane; conductivity through (normal to) a sheet of graphene is worse than many conventional pastes on a macro scale.

6 minutes ago, the gamer that is bad said:

Probably but think of the cost of the raw material and then the machining

CVD deposit a substrate, then remove the diamond layer. Still expensive, but not unattainably so. Good luck machining a thin layer of diamond.

Silver is the best conductor we know of,That's why most high end thermal pastes use silver in them,

For example Arctic Silver 5 mixes silver,aluminium,other metals and mostly ceramics,ceramics,are not electrically conductive.

And Diamonds are Semi-conductors,so you they can conduct electricity.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

12 hours ago, Vishera said:

Silver is the best conductor we know of,That's why most high end thermal pastes use silver in them,

Diamond can be almost an order of magnitude more thermally conductive than silver at room temperature, but is less commonly used because it is more expensive (and because boundary effects dominate, reducing the impact of extremely conductive filler material).

13 hours ago, Vishera said:

For example Arctic Silver 5 mixes silver,aluminium,other metals and mostly ceramics,ceramics,are not electrically conductive.

Electrically conductive ceramics exist; Indium Tin Oxide is ubiquitous in thin film electronics.

13 hours ago, Vishera said:

And Diamonds are Semi-conductors,so you they can conduct electricity.

Diamond is very electrically insulating (typical type IIa CVD is on the order of 1018Ωm). Silver is very electrically conductive (order of 10-8Ωm). Diamond is technically a semiconductor, but its high band gap means it does not conduct electricity in practice unless doped.

Diamond is solid, so no chance of getting a good contact on an imperfect surface.

Thermal pastes containig diamond dost might have a bit better thermal cobnductivity than one without it.

I edit my posts more often than not