PSUs for erica 2 Motherboard

Hey there!

I am kinda new in the pc-game and I'm now thinking about upgrading my Prebuilt PC...

I bought my PC about a year ago and up until this point I was scared to upgrade it apart from some RAM...

The PC is an HP Prebuilt using the erica 2 Motherboard and it came with a Ryzen 5 3400G without a dedicated GPU.

I'm happy with the CPU but i thought about upgrading to a 1660 super or something (haven't done any research on that yet), but my proprietary 180W PSU is holding me back. There is a 500W PSU made by HP called the L05757-800, just from looking at the pictures it seems to fit, however in a spreadsheet made by an HP support-guy it isn't listed as compatible with the erica 2 MOBO. He said he didn't check if all configs worked but this is still enough for me to put off buying it since it is a 100€ unit here in Germany. I am pretty sure it will fit physically since they used the same case for nearly all their Prebuilts, but there is still a chance the connectors might not fit or it won't have the connectors I need for the GPU. I've read about similar cases in some forums but I want to be extra cautious. There isn't really that much information about either of these components so I am hoping some of you might know the answer or experienced something similar. It would also be nice if someone could explain to me wether that 500W is TDP, but that is less important since the entire system once finished will probably only need ~300W-350W.

Thanks in advance for your help!

There’s little to no chance of upgrading the psu on here with 100% certainty it’ll work. You’d be trying to find similar power supplies with dual 12v 4 pins and the weird little slim 6 pin power connector for the system that may or may not work.

And even then they may not have a pcie power connector either.

Theres no cable adapters from what I can see searching online, lots for the business machines, but these nameless consumer desktops from HP don’t really have an abundance of off the shelf psu adapters out there.

I would at this point just eat the loss of buying a proprietary prebuilt and just put together a proper system taking the processor and ram and drive over.

Youd be spending 100$ on a propriety psu to toss a gpu into a system with nonexistent airflow and no upgradability ever beyond that. For that money you might as well just spend 200$ and get a psu/motherboard/case and not have to work with a proprietary system.

I really wanted to keep the case since I like how small and tidy it looks but i totally get that the airflow is gonna be garbage.

However I am pretty sure that there is other versions of my PC using my case and the 500W PSU and a 1660 super. That however is with a Pavilion Mobo i think. But like you said it would probably only be a one time Upgrade and the Motherboard itself isn't really made for upgrade-ability. I think just throwing this PSU and a GPU in it might work, but like you said it would cost a lot and suck again in a year. I guess my best cause would be just taking the hit and buying New mobo, case, PSU, GPU etc.

In that case I'm gonna search for good AM4 Mobos with DDR4 and an M.2 SSD slot.

Kinda bummed-out but still thanks for your kind help!

8 hours ago, 8tg said:

There’s little to no chance of upgrading the psu on here with 100% certainty it’ll work. You’d be trying to find similar power supplies with dual 12v 4 pins and the weird little slim 6 pin power connector for the system that may or may not work.

And even then they may not have a pcie power connector either.

Theres no cable adapters from what I can see searching online, lots for the business machines, but these nameless consumer desktops from HP don’t really have an abundance of off the shelf psu adapters out there.

I would at this point just eat the loss of buying a proprietary prebuilt and just put together a proper system taking the processor and ram and drive over.

Youd be spending 100$ on a propriety psu to toss a gpu into a system with nonexistent airflow and no upgradability ever beyond that. For that money you might as well just spend 200$ and get a psu/motherboard/case and not have to work with a proprietary system.

I really wanted to keep the case since I like how small and tidy it looks but i totally get that the airflow is gonna be garbage.

However I am pretty sure that there is other versions of my PC using my case and the 500W PSU and a 1660 super. That however is with a Pavilion Mobo i think. But like you said it would probably only be a one time Upgrade and the Motherboard itself isn't really made for upgrade-ability. I think just throwing this PSU and a GPU in it might work, but like you said it would cost a lot and suck again in a year. I guess my best cause would be just taking the hit and buying New mobo, case, PSU, GPU etc.

In that case I'm gonna search for good AM4 Mobos with DDR4 and an M.2 SSD slot.

Kinda bummed-out but still thanks for your kind help!

• 1 year later...

i know this is an old thread and so im sure you have found a solution to this, but for anyone who googles the question and clicks on a result thats old then i have just a small update for the question in hand.   i have a pavilion with the erica 2 board,  wouldnt say its a gaming series model,  but it did come with the 180w psu. in my case it came with an athlon 300ge which ive upgraded to a 3200g and now prior to writing this i found and installed a 310w psu from a intel 10th series pavilion which seems to be working fine.  the model i installed comes with a 6 + 2 pin connector which is labelledn P4,  it looks like a cable for a gpu(i suspect the 10th series model case, mobo, psu i picked up is a gaming series one) but isnt labelled pcie , so it it something im going to test on gpu's up to 110 maybe 120w.     

So anyone looking to upgrade their psu on these HP pavilions, try and get hold of one from a higher spec model.  i got mine cheap, so i dont know what they tend to go for, but they would be better and easier than trying to make a normal psu adapt.

• 1 year later...