maybe thermal throttling?

Go to solution Solved by Redlantern,
8 minutes ago, linusasfani said:

okay let me try it out also can ya tell me which method is good for applying thermal paste i mean "dot" method or fully mix on cpu surface

I agree with Chris, but another thing is don't put too little paste. You want it to be able to spread out across the CPU. Don't put so much that it spills over the edge. Some say pea size, but I tend to do just slightly more than a pea. Just imagine when you press it down that it spreads, and put the minimum amount of paste that will properly cover the whole thing. I know this goes without saying, but be sure to clean off the old paste before putting on new paste. Make sure it's dry before you put the new paste as well. That way you don't boot it with a tiny amount of liquid on the components.

I know I put a lot of little warnings and tips, but it's a fairly easy process.

so in this hot summer days my temperatures on cpu raised so much and i decided to clean up my system i changed thermal paste clean motherboard from dust and thats it everything is clean but after that i booted my pc again but temps are not changed and its same as it was before also i want to mention that i used mx-4 and have 1 exhaust fan i think that its thermal throttling but dont know what to do maybe undervolt or smthing like that,\.want to get feedback from u guys

image_2021-06-23_202537.png

You've given us literally nothing to work with here. What CPU? What case? Your temps seem fine from the graph. AMD doesn't thermal throttle until 95C an Intel at 105C. You're nowhere near that based on the graph. Also CPU utilization doesn't mean anything. If you're thermal throttling, the clockspeeds will drop, but you could still have any number from 0-100% CPU utilization.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

1 minute ago, Chris Pratt said:

You've given us literally nothing to work with here. What CPU? What case? Your temps seem fine from the graph. AMD doesn't thermal throttle until 95C an Intel at 105C. You're nowhere near that based on the graph. Also CPU utilization doesn't mean anything. If you're thermal throttling, the clockspeeds will drop, but you could still have any number from 0-100% CPU utilization.

its i5 3470,with default case with one exhaust fan,temps was like near 60 63 but it started lag spikes in games 

7 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

also fps drops from 200 to 40-60 fps

1 minute ago, linusasfani said:

also fps drops from 200 to 40-60 fps

There could be any number of reasons for FPS drops. With a 3470, CPU bottleneck is a real possibility. You also haven't given any info on the graphics card or what game(s).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

I have a 3930k that is also fairly ancient. You may want to pull the CPU cooler, clean it, then re-apply thermal paste. I have serviced computers where I needed to unscrew the CPU cooler from the radiator it's attached to to clean it properly. This is because a really thick layer of dust can collect between the two and disrupt the airflow. I am not seeing thermal throttling from your graphs, but if you just want it to run cooler, that's a good way to make it happen. 

1 minute ago, Chris Pratt said:

There could be any number of reasons for FPS drops. With a 3470, CPU bottleneck is a real possibility. You also haven't given any info on the graphics card or what game(s).

umm 3470 is with gtx 750 ti and there is no bottlneck the loads for both of them is same and also i teested it on CSGO,CarX and cpu temps are on beetwen 70-77 since i have changed thermal paste and clean up every component in my system

1 minute ago, Redlantern said:

I have a 3930k that is also fairly ancient. You may want to pull the CPU cooler, clean it, then re-apply thermal paste. I have serviced computers where I needed to unscrew the CPU cooler from the radiator it's attached to to clean it properly. This is because a really thick layer of dust can collect between the two and disrupt the airflow. I am not seeing thermal throttling from your graphs, but if you just want it to run cooler, that's a good way to make it happen. 

okay let me try it out also can ya tell me which method is good for applying thermal paste i mean "dot" method or fully mix on cpu surface

2 minutes ago, linusasfani said:

There is no difference, as long as you apply enough. The cooler mount applies up to 50lbs of force (assuming a good mount), so it will spread over the whole IHS one way or another.

8 minutes ago, linusasfani said:

I agree with Chris, but another thing is don't put too little paste. You want it to be able to spread out across the CPU. Don't put so much that it spills over the edge. Some say pea size, but I tend to do just slightly more than a pea. Just imagine when you press it down that it spreads, and put the minimum amount of paste that will properly cover the whole thing. I know this goes without saying, but be sure to clean off the old paste before putting on new paste. Make sure it's dry before you put the new paste as well. That way you don't boot it with a tiny amount of liquid on the components.

24 minutes ago, Redlantern said:

everything is fixed i started taking my case panel and after i saw that my cpu coller wasnt proper tightened i put little bit more pressure on it and temps are fine btw thank you guys a lot lavya :d ❤️