Psu issues

Mingies

Specs.

CPU: amd R7 5800x

GPU: 3080 ti

MoBo: asus rog strix B550

3 ssd 1tb and 3 monitors.

850 watt psu

i went to best buy because my computer would randomly restart when i opened up games.  The guys from geek squad barley looked at my computer and said i needed at least a 1k psu to power what I have.  While i wait for it to come in, i wanted to know,  does my build really need that much??  Im not sure how accurate a computer wattage calculators are, but the one on newegg says i need like 600 watts.

If my 850watt was fine, im afraid my computer might still have the same issue or restarting.  Also, i tried and cpu and gpu stress test and it never restarted my computer.  And all my temps were good.

RM-x 850W should be fine, restarts don't usually indicate PSU issue anyway. Is your XMP profile enabled ? Try disabling it ? And updating motherboard firmware.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

23 minutes ago, Juular said:

RM-x 850W should be fine, restarts don't usually indicate PSU issue anyway. Is your XMP profile enabled ? Try disabling it ? And updating motherboard firmware.

Xmp is not currently enabled.  And ill update once my new psu comes in.  They had to take my old one to order the new psu. Should be here tomorrow.

37 minutes ago, Tech87 said:

I highly doubt this is the issue.

Is it only one specific game that causes restarts?

So far its happened in a few games.  League of legends, call of duty warzone, and halo 3 and 4

56 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

Make and model of RAM?

Corsair vengeance LPX series. 2x 8gbs

6 minutes ago, Mingies said:

Try running a few passes of memtest and see if your sticks are stable.

13 minutes ago, Mingies said:

So far its happened in a few games.  League of legends, call of duty warzone, and halo 3 and 4

I would try to clean boot the system and then launch a game and see how that goes.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows-da2f9573-6eec-00ad-2f8a-a97a1807f3dd

PSU Tier List   AMD Motherboard Tier List   SSD Tier List

If your issue is resolved, please share the fix with the community.

2 hours ago, Mingies said:

Ryzen doesn't run very well with a lot of Corsair Vengeance LPX models. What's the exact model and versionnumber of the sticks? You can read it from the label on the sticks.

4 hours ago, --SID-- said:

Ryzen doesn't run very well with a lot of Corsair Vengeance LPX models. What's the exact model and versionnumber of the sticks? You can read it from the label on the sticks.

(looks at four sticks of LPX 3000MHz and Ryzen 5 3600 out of the corner of his eye)

8 hours ago, Mingies said:

i went to best buy because my computer would randomly restart when i opened up games.  The guys from geek squad barley looked at my computer and said i needed at least a 1k psu to power what I have.  

Well.... So much for Geek Squad competence.  

4 hours ago, --SID-- said:

I have never heard of this before.  Did one person make this claim and now it's stated as fact?  LOL!  Literally EVERY PC in the lab is using Vengeance LPX.  And more of half of those are Ryzen 3rd Gen and newer because they were the first to support PCIe 4.0 so I bought a bunch of them.  😄

5 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

I have never heard of this before.  Did one person make this claim and now it's stated as fact?  LOL!  Literally EVERY PC in the lab is using Vengeance LPX.  And more of half of those are Ryzen 3rd Gen and newer because they were the first to support PCIe 4.0 so I bought a bunch of them.

That's RAM with M2Z in the modelnumber?

41 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

That's RAM with M2Z in the modelnumber?

No.  M2E, M4C...

Remember, I don't work with the memory guys.  I order parts for builds just like anyone else.