Actual Download Speed VS Advertised Speed

Go to solution Solved by Chris Pratt,

Not sure what's going on with Fast.com there, but what you're describing is pretty normal overall. 1Gbps is just your downlink. That doesn't mean all servers on the Internet are actually going to send stuff to you that fast. In fact, probably anything over 200Mbps is going to be enough to pull downloads at whatever max speed the server is willing to give you. Having higher bandwidth is mostly about multitasking, i.e. you, your wife, and your 2.5 kids can all be streaming, and you can still download that new game at max speed, etc.

Hi,

I've recently changed my internet provider because of a deal. I used to have 400mb/s download with Vidéotron but it used copper cable. Now that I'm with Bell, they announced 1GB download with Fiber. When I'm testing the speed on https://www.speedtest.net/ , I do get connected to the best server near me with 1ms at ~1GB download (physically located 5 minutes of me) so in theory it seems to be better. But something I've realized is that when I'm downloading files from Mega or Nopy (File hosting sites), the download speed is way slower than what I used to have with 400mb/s. I'm aware that it's /8 as it's actual megabytes instead of megabits, but I've just downloaded the newest version of Blender (183mb) file from Blender.org and it took 4 minutes.

I'm suspecting that depending on which server I'm downloading will affect the ping, which won't give the 1GB advertised download speed, but is this normal? On Steam I did actually download my games pretty fast so I see that it does work... but why so many other sites are slower?

I've also used fast.com in the past (But I'm not sure if it's reliable) and it did give me an accurate amount of 400mb/s before, but now it's ~40mb/s. The server is physically located in Montreal, which is 2 hours of where I live.

Is this normal or should I contact Bell? They are covering all around Canada so I'm surprise of this issue.

Thank you! 

fast.png

Speedtest.png

blenderDownload.png

The actual speed depends on the upload speed of whatever server you're requesting data from. Your results sound perfectly normal. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

Not sure what's going on with Fast.com there, but what you're describing is pretty normal overall. 1Gbps is just your downlink. That doesn't mean all servers on the Internet are actually going to send stuff to you that fast. In fact, probably anything over 200Mbps is going to be enough to pull downloads at whatever max speed the server is willing to give you. Having higher bandwidth is mostly about multitasking, i.e. you, your wife, and your 2.5 kids can all be streaming, and you can still download that new game at max speed, etc.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

37 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

Ahhh, thanks a lot for confirming! I didn't thought about the server side upload speed and how having more download is mainly focused for multi user stability instead of funneled to one connection.

I'm still wondering why I had faster speed with my old provider for certain sites. Would you know if internet provider matters? As if they had better connection than my current one or am I just hallucinating.

27 minutes ago, Cat Graphic said:

Ahhh, thanks a lot for confirming! I didn't thought about the server side upload speed and how having more download is mainly focused for multi user stability instead of funneled to one connection.

I'm still wondering why I had faster speed with my old provider for certain sites. Would you know if internet provider matters? As if they had better connection than my current one or am I just hallucinating.

Hard to say at this point, but that kind of stuff can be very variable. Especially when it's something that is serving a huge amount of data like Mega, Steam, etc., It mostly just depends on how heavily the service is being utilized at the time. They have bandwidth maximums as well, so it gets divvied out according to the need.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse