Cables, cables everywhere. But not the one I need?

ManBehrPig
Go to solution Solved by Moosie,

What they're talking about for connecting fans to your psu is something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimited-3-Pin-Connector-FAN-CABLE/dp/B000V6T5HW

Sometimes they come with PSUs, sometimes they don't.

A radioshack or bestbuy might have them, but it's unlikely. A microcenter/Frys would definitely have them.

But really, you don't need them. You can use the fan connectors on your motherboard and test them from there.

Just put together the entire system outside of the case (motherboard on top of the motherboard box), and check all the components at once.

Well I just started my build today and before I even have a chance to finish testing equipment for DOA I run into issues. So right now I am stuck while trying to test the functionality of my noctua fans with my AX860i but at the moment I can't seem to be able to find a way to connect the peripheral connector with the fan. Now corsair's website mentions a possible need for a 2/3 pin adapter but the cable attached to the fan looks like a four pin. What am I missing? Has anyone with the same two products had similar problems? Do I need to go out and buy adapters? Would I likely be able to buy them from my local computer repair shop or is that something I will likely have to send out for in the mail if I don't have a nearby micro center and the like. Assuming I do need something not supplied out of box.

You would need a molex to 3/4 pin. I would suggest testing it with the motherboard instead.

Quote me to get a reply!

looks like you need one of these:

a_cable_acoustic_pc_3_pin_to_4_pin_molex

but kinda unnecessary to test fans. but like said above, use a motherboard header.

What they're talking about for connecting fans to your psu is something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimited-3-Pin-Connector-FAN-CABLE/dp/B000V6T5HW

A radioshack or bestbuy might have them, but it's unlikely. A microcenter/Frys would definitely have them.

But really, you don't need them. You can use the fan connectors on your motherboard and test them from there.

Just put together the entire system outside of the case (motherboard on top of the motherboard box), and check all the components at once.

CPU-AMD FX 8350 @ 4.9Ghz | GPU-Sapphire 7970 OC | Motherboard-AsRock Extreme9 990fx | RAM-8GB Mushkin Blackline Ridgeback

Case-NZXT Switch 810 | Heatsink-NZXT HAVIK | SSD-Samsung 840 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barricuda 1TB; WD Green 2TB
PSU-Seasonic X-Series 850 Watt | Mouse-Razer Naga | Keyboard-Razer Blackwidow | Speakers-Logitech z623

looks like you need one of these:

a_cable_acoustic_pc_3_pin_to_4_pin_molex

but kinda unnecessary to test fans. but like said above, use a motherboard header.

Ok. I'll use the mobo. Plus while we are on the subject of fans, part of the reason I wanted to test ahead was to figure out if the label is facing out is it pulling air in or pushing it out. Sorry dumb question I know. I seem to be full of em on this first build.

Ok. I'll use the mobo. Plus while we are on the subject of fans, part of the reason I wanted to test ahead was to figure out if the label is facing out is it pulling air in or pushing it out. Sorry dumb question I know. I seem to be full of em on this first build.

air enters the fan from the exposed fan blade assembly and exits (exhausts) through

the fan chassis supports.

if you can see the label, that is pushing air towards you.

if you can see the fan hub (middle of fan) that pulling air away from you.

Is your avatar from Babar?

air enters the fan from the exposed fan blade assembly and exits (exhausts) through

the fan chassis supports.

if you can see the label, that is pushing air towards you.

if you can see the fan hub (middle of fan) that pulling air away from you.

Thanks a bunch man. It seems to be a million little things like that that is really slowing my build progress down. It all makes it feel like it will take a month or more sometimes. Ugh. :-)

Is your avatar from Babar?

No, but I liked those books as a kid, too. It's Elliot Moose, another children's book/character that inspired a Canadian kid's show. lol

CPU-AMD FX 8350 @ 4.9Ghz | GPU-Sapphire 7970 OC | Motherboard-AsRock Extreme9 990fx | RAM-8GB Mushkin Blackline Ridgeback

Case-NZXT Switch 810 | Heatsink-NZXT HAVIK | SSD-Samsung 840 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barricuda 1TB; WD Green 2TB
PSU-Seasonic X-Series 850 Watt | Mouse-Razer Naga | Keyboard-Razer Blackwidow | Speakers-Logitech z623