Adding DVDs to Plex in unraid

Hi all I was looking for advice on what Dockers to use and curious about adding tv/anime series from DVDs to my Plex server on unraid. What I was wondering is if anyone had a good way to do this my main thing is that I don't want it to be one big video but individual episodes. What I've see is most people suggest makemkv and then maybe handbrake to reduce size some depending on quality and such, but all I've seen is people talking about movies not tv shows with multiple episode per DVD. So I wanted to see if anyone who has done this with the series how they did it and if it ends up as just on file with all the episodes or individual episodes that I could then use sonar to add to Plex.

There seems to be a bit of a disconnect between the title and the body of this post.  I’m not sure if this is about adding slow removable drives to a plex sever or about suggestions regarding adding and organizing multiple smaller files.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

45 minutes ago, Jcb93 said:

what Dockers to use

I use the linuxserver.io Docker container for my Unraid Plex. Works like a charm.

50 minutes ago, Jcb93 said:

What I've see is most people suggest makemkv and then maybe handbrake to reduce size some depending on quality and such, but all I've seen is people talking about movies not tv shows with multiple episode per DVD.

From some looking around it seems MakeMKV will present the option to select and rip the episodes as separate. I'd say just fire it up and see what options you have?

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

37 minutes ago, tikker said:

From some looking around it seems MakeMKV will present the option to select and rip the episodes as separate. I'd say just fire it up and see what options you have?

This is not entirely true, MakeMKV will let you rip individual titles but not all series BDs and DVDs separate the episodes by title, and instead they are in one big title and MakeMKV can only make one large MKV that contains many episodes.  This def varies by disk.  What I do for those is remux them to one big MKV with MakeMKV, then I use MKVToolNix to cut that MKV into individual episodes by chapter.  This means finding the chapters that are the start of each episode and teling MKVToolNix to cut before each chapter number I enter.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

I recently did it with two tv  shows that I had on dvd. I used Handbrake. It let me rip each episode as a single file.