Stock CPU cooler replacement

Gpizzle135
Go to solution Solved by AnotherGlenn,

Just writing here to ask if there are any new cpu coolers I should look at. Haven't been keeping up to date with CPU coolers so just want to know if I the Hyper 212 Evo and Noctua NHD-12s are still top tier options. I know about the NHD-12s redux, but I'm willing to spend the extra Monopoly monies for the regular version.

Budget? It all depends on the budget, but yeah, the ones you mentioned are still good.

Other than those, you have options (depending on budget and the CPU you need to cool) from beQuiet, Cryorig, other Noctuas, Scythe, etc.

The Hyper 212 is not a "top-tier" cooler and never has been. It's just a decent option at a low price.

The U12S is a very good cooler, depending on the CPU. You didn't specify what CPU you have though. The Redux version has exactly the same performance, FWIW, it's just noisier at the higher fan speeds.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Sorry, budget would be no more than $100 CAD, and my cpu is a ryzen 5 3600

34 minutes ago, AnotherGlenn said:

Budget? It all depends on the budget, but yeah, the ones you mentioned are still good.

Other than those, you have options (depending on budget and the CPU you need to cool) from beQuiet, Cryorig, other Noctuas, Scythe, etc.

34 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

The Hyper 212 is not a "top-tier" cooler and never has been. It's just a decent option at a low price.

The U12S is a very good cooler, depending on the CPU. You didn't specify what CPU you have though. The Redux version has exactly the same performance, FWIW, it's just noisier at the higher fan speeds.

Sorry, budget would be no more than $150 CAD, and my cpu is a ryzen 5 3600

Scythe Fuma 2

/Hands down my 2 cents

I edit my posts more often than not

6 hours ago, AnotherGlenn said:

stupid question, would I need to get my own thermal paste with the NH-D15?

9 hours ago, Gpizzle135 said:

stupid question, would I need to get my own thermal paste with the NH-D15?

Not stupid at all, my man. Basically, all high-end coolers come with thermal paste in the box. It's not the best of the best, but they are usually pretty good. 

-> Before buying though, please check the CPU Cooler clearance of your case. The NHD15 is a big boi. Just check the specs of the case online, and make sure that Cooler height is not the same or bigger than the CPU Cooler Clearance of the case. 

7 hours ago, AnotherGlenn said:

Not stupid at all, my man. Basically, all high-end coolers come with thermal paste in the box. It's not the best of the best, but they are usually pretty good. 

-> Before buying though, please check the CPU Cooler clearance of your case. The NHD15 is a big boi. Just check the specs of the case online, and make sure that Cooler height is not the same or bigger than the CPU Cooler Clearance of the case. 

Soooo, I thought about that afterwards. Which doesn't really bother me because I was already considering getting a new case. Since my current NZXT H440 is......God like 8 years old something. Gonna ask here but will probably also move to appropriate thread, what's a good airflow/mesh case that won't break the bank?

Also consider with big air that covers RAM slots - the advertised height doesn't always take into account adjustments of the front fan to accommodate RAM - so it may be in fact taller than 165mm.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

I really like the Phanteks P400A/P500A for budget-ish cases.

Another good one is the Corsair 5000D Airflow.

There's also a nice Lian Li case, I forgot its name.

The beQuiet SilentBase 802 Window is very cool as well. 

I guess it depends on what exactly your budget is 🙂