Can a bad GPU cause a boot loop?

Saiyan

I know my GPU can't run games anymore and just crashes the screen it's displaying on but the PC is generally fine for regular use, watching shows, ect. Got to my PC 10 minutes ago and started a 5 second boot loop and wouldn't even get anywhere close to BIOS. Took out my GPU and it booted fine on integrated graphics but I'm not sure if the problem was the GPU or the BIOS being reset. Do GPU's failing generally cause boot loops or is it usually something dealing with the PSU/motherboard?

PCPartPicker: z97 Gaming 5 | 750w Photon | 850 Series 250gb SSD | Phanteks Enthoo Pro | LG25um56-P | Corsair K70 RGB | Asus Strix 970 4gb | WD Blue 1TB | Logitech G502 | i7-4790k | H100i GTX w/ (Noctua NF-F12's) | HyperX Fury Black 1x8gb 1866 | NZXT Hue+ |  ATR2500 | ATH-M50x |

GPU issues tend to result in no boot situations or boots with artifacts. If your system does not boot with 970 installed, I would either test that on a different system or test your system with a different power supply.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Do you have QLED or some sort of boot status indicator to check in what part of boot is getting stuck? 

Like @Levent mentioned if you can try that GPU in a different system, that will definitely give you the answer is it up to the GPU or some other part.