Elgato 4K60 MK2 what else can it do?

Go to solution Solved by GhostRoadieBL,
17 minutes ago, Strayan_Hades said:

Hi,

So I've been looking at getting a Elgato 4K60 MK2 for my PC. I know it's a great capture card but is there some other features it can do?

For example I use my PC as a Plex server and game streaming would it take the load off my CPU if configured or is primarily for just hdmi inputs only?

won't take load off the CPU but you can switch some Plex settings for quality and transcoding to take the load off.

quality.PNG.a66b3728cc22810893925f4543a3c404.PNG

Change "video quality" to 10mbps or under and make sure to have "play smaller videos" checked so the CPU doesn't need to convert for no reason

transcode.thumb.PNG.af15040ddc7efb1f469dc4039ecb4382.PNG

Quality profile can make a big impact and background transcoding preset will ease off the load on your CPU while streaming

or go through settings > server > transcoder > show advanced    and enable hardware acceleration, then your GPU is transcoding

be sure to use Nvidia NVENC encoder in OBS when streaming so most of the work is being done by your GPU and not your CPU while using the elgato

Hi,

So I've been looking at getting a Elgato 4K60 MK2 for my PC. I know it's a great capture card but is there some other features it can do?

For example I use my PC as a Plex server and game streaming would it take the load off my CPU if configured or is primarily for just hdmi inputs only?

My PC Specs:

MOBO: MSI Z97A GAMING 7 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4 GHz Quad-Core Processor

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6 GB Video Card

MEM: Kingston HyperX Fury Red 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1866 CL10 Memory

Any help on this would be great.

Cheers.

It can record in HDR.

It can tone-map HDR to SDR video on the device.

It offers multi-application access.  For example, you can stream in OBS while recording in Elgato 4K Capture Utility.

17 minutes ago, Strayan_Hades said:

Hi,

won't take load off the CPU but you can switch some Plex settings for quality and transcoding to take the load off.

Change "video quality" to 10mbps or under and make sure to have "play smaller videos" checked so the CPU doesn't need to convert for no reason

Quality profile can make a big impact and background transcoding preset will ease off the load on your CPU while streaming

or go through settings > server > transcoder > show advanced    and enable hardware acceleration, then your GPU is transcoding

be sure to use Nvidia NVENC encoder in OBS when streaming so most of the work is being done by your GPU and not your CPU while using the elgato

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

1 hour ago, Mel0nMan said:

It's a HDMI input. Pretty sure it only works as a HDMI input and nothing else. 

1 hour ago, RZeroX said:

It can record in HDR.

It can tone-map HDR to SDR video on the device.

It offers multi-application access.  For example, you can stream in OBS while recording in Elgato 4K Capture Utility.

52 minutes ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

Thanks for your all responses.

Just another quick question does my mobo have the correct PCI E port?

Cheers.

200$+ insanely overpriced. jus tgeta  5% bette rgpu that's about how much performance it takes to do 4k60 or get nvidia card with ahrdware encoding.

lol I record all day at 4k60 and I don't need a 200$ card. fools!!!!

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.