Silent PSU help

Hi

First post here. So my problem is obviously my PSU (xfx 650w core edition).

I've been updating my rig lately and after long period of thinking I decided to watercool my pc.

I managed to get it almost silent except psu. It is 2 years old and from my first build.

I have i5 2500k oc'd to 4.4ghz with 1.3V and 780 to 1200 with stock voltages. When i game my PSU flips out and the fan is really loud but even in idle my psu is my main noise source.

I've been looking for new PSU but even units with great reviews have got forum posts of high pitch hissing and other defects(seasonic, bequiet, corsair[seasonic i know but posts say it is different sound], etc).

Should i go with higher wattage so when my system goes to game mode it would not stress the psu so much and would make the pc little quieter or is that just wrong?

Secondly i would like to hear opinions on what brand of PSU is best for my situation? Reliable and very quiet even in stress.

Thanks in advance

Corsair RM series <3 my one

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

I have an XFX 850W Black Edition I think and have not experienced any sound problem. Your PSU is probably loud because your reaching near 90% load most of the time possibly.

I don't like RM's, I actually prefer Seasonic, BeQuiet and XFX for psu's. Btw, my psu is extremely quiet.
As for the wattage, you shouldn't need anymore wattage, maybe 700w just to be on the safe side.
And when you get your new psu, and it makes noises, like hissing or coil whine, just rma it.

Case:NZXT H440   CPU:3570k @ 4.4ghz   Cooler:Prolimatech Megahalems w/ ap121 p/p  GPU:Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770  RAM:Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16gb 1600mhz  Mobo:Sabertooth Z77     PSU:Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700w   Wheel: Logitech G27 + joystick as handbrake Asus DGX 5.1        Mouse: Corsair M65     Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger Cherry MX black  Headphones: ATH-M50s    Phone: Nexus 5 32GB  Earphones: Sennheiser CX 400ii    SSD: 120gb 840 evo  HDD: WD Enterprise 2TB    AMP&DAC: Schiit Stack. 

Corsair RM series <3 my one

same here and by every sit that i check i am exceeding it by 20 WATS and is still silent, i think it has not spun up at all even when i got it  

I have an XFX 850W Black Edition I think and have not experienced any sound problem. Your PSU is probably loud because your reaching near 90% load most of the time possibly.

I was thinking this. So does higher wattage make any sense in real world? Meaning the same power used in higher watt psu would only load it to like 50% and making it less noisy. Just pure speculation from my end but kinda makes sense.

I've been looking bequiet 850w dark power, cooler master V850, seasonic p-860 and corsair AX860. Is 800watt enough or should i go with more headroom and 1kW?

Tbh,650 w is more than you'll ever need for your setup. But if you really have to upgrade to higher wattage,get a 750w. I can recommend the Seasonic X-series as mine is very quiet,the fan has never spins up in it's lifetime, even under extreme OC load. A 750w psu should be in the sweet spot of it being in fanless mode all the time and still being efficient.

I was thinking this. So does higher wattage make any sense in real world? Meaning the same power used in higher watt psu would only load it to like 50% and making it less noisy. Just pure speculation from my end but kinda makes sense.

I've been looking bequiet 850w dark power, cooler master V850, seasonic p-860 and corsair AX860. Is 800watt enough or should i go with more headroom and 1kW?

1000W would be truly too much for a single card. Technically, 850W is too much for one card also. >.< You may be able to go 750W or 800W if you don't plan to do Crossfire/SLI.

I have a Superflower Golden King PSU which is quite silent.The fan doesn't spin till it reaches around 50-60 celsius,and then it kicks in till it gets the PSU to around 40.It's Platinum with various different wattages,but it can pull out 100 more watts than it's rated,but at Gold efficiency.

Probably not available in the US D:

You could get a fanless PSU,right?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Thank you everyone for superfast replys. I know those wattages exceed my computer but i dont really know how PSUs work so i speculated higher wattages to work less for same load. I think i will try seasonic 760w

Thank you again

Try powersupplies that don't spin fans on idle

Passively cooled PSU's are still subject to coil whine and my understanding of coil whine probability is linked the the temperature of the capacitors = the hotter the more noise. I think partially passive and fan when needed is the better way to go.

As I only know of Corsair PSU's I'll do the same as I always do recommend Corsair RM/AX PSU's. Both are great but the AX is platinum rated but the RM is gold and more aggressively priced; realistically you won't notice a difference apart from the money in your pocket. Both have 7 year warrenties (or the RM has 5 and the ax has 7), if you get coil whine which I've not heard of for these PSU's (it's possible though) you can just RMA it.

TTL did a video proving 450w is enough for a gtx 780 ti rig (Jayz two cents, Linus etc have made videos showing realistic power usage by systems).