Help with home networking

Penguin5666

Planning on adding some ethernet and access points to the house. Is this all I need? Can I just plug the modem into the switch and the access points there are just temporary, does anyone have any good suggestions for access points. Might add cameras later (using ubiquiti design centre). Is ubiquiti stuff good, is it a bit overkill? Thanks in advance 

[Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/e6KBusG.png)

[Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/D83V5Z1.png)

Redit post for reference ; Help with home networking setup

Switch is great for having many wired devices in 1 corner of the house, then you can wire the other end of house straight from the modem. Unless you want a ton of long cables though you will need a router at some point. I am using wireless range extender instead of access point( it both gets wireless signal and re-transmits it).

If you want to stick with access points, there is an option of power over ethernet. Or you are limited in placement where power sockets are located. I don't know the numbers we are talking, how huge is the house? The more devices you use the higher number of failure points and possibility of interference between the devices.

17 minutes ago, RageTester said:

Switch is great for having many wired devices in 1 corner of the house, then you can wire the other end of house straight from the modem. Unless you want a ton of long cables though you will need a router at some point. I am using wireless range extender instead of access point( it both gets wireless signal and re-transmits it).

If you want to stick with access points, there is an option of power over ethernet. Or you are limited in placement where power sockets are located. I don't know the numbers we are talking, how huge is the house? The more devices you use the higher number of failure points and possibility of interference between the devices.

I wasnt clear, my modem is one of the router modem combos that your isp provides you. Idk if it makes a diffrence but I live in australia if that helps. The modem router thing is where the switch is placed. That switch is POE, ethernet ports are placed where i want devices wired in instead of using wifi. I think theres about 4 phones in constant use, 2 laptops and two smart tvs. (all using wifi) and 3 desktops that i want wired in. Acess points are prefered because of isp cant change modem/router without changing contract (got significant discount). The only existing port is on a far edge of the house so thats why the switch and modem/router thing is there . (bed 1) Would it work if i used 1 access point in the middle of the house? Longest cable run is 31m (roughly direct straight line from switch to port, the ports are in bedroom 2).  Placement of the ports is fixed but the access points can move.  Do i not need the switch at all?  Can i just have it plugged into the modem? Id prefer it the modem only had a few wires coming out of it and all of the runs in the roof. 

2 hours ago, Penguin5666 said:

I wasnt clear, my modem is one of the router modem combos that your isp provides you. Idk if it makes a diffrence but I live in australia if that helps. The modem router thing is where the switch is placed. That switch is POE, ethernet ports are placed where i want devices wired in instead of using wifi. I think theres about 4 phones in constant use, 2 laptops and two smart tvs. (all using wifi) and 3 desktops that i want wired in. Acess points are prefered because of isp cant change modem/router without changing contract (got significant discount). The only existing port is on a far edge of the house so thats why the switch and modem/router thing is there . (bed 1) Would it work if i used 1 access point in the middle of the house? Longest cable run is 31m (roughly direct straight line from switch to port, the ports are in bedroom 2).  Placement of the ports is fixed but the access points can move.  Do i not need the switch at all?  Can i just have it plugged into the modem? Id prefer it the modem only had a few wires coming out of it and all of the runs in the roof. 

You'll need a PoE switch for the access points to power them unless you want to run power as well to the location.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 hour ago, Lurick said:

You'll need a PoE switch for the access points to power them unless you want to run power as well to the location.

yea the switch that i have put in the setup is a poe switch

* Your thread was moved to the Networking section *

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !