upgrading work headphones

nolukjustskil

so i work in a call center and the headsets they supply are 100% garbage. i tried to use my corsair void headset ( https://us.amazon.com/dp/B0178ADP7E/ref=dp_prsubs_1 ) but since it needs a driver or something i cant use them. system admins say no :(... so i need something else, looking for over ear headphones with mic (again working call center so the better the quality the better), with a 3.5mm audio and 3.5mm voice jack, since i dont want to take the chance of USB headphones not working. budget is $100-150 and again i think mic quality needs to be pretty high. bonus points if it has an auto-mute mic option when you raise the mic (or some kind of control switch on the cord so the mic can be muted)

thanks for your help!

Cooler Master MH-751

Good, affordable, 3.5mm plugs, and a detachable mic. Solid build quality also.

Sound is among the best in class of closed-backs under $100.

[Main Desktop]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti (FTW3 Ultra)  MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon (X470)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 CL16 (2x8GB)

COOLER: Arctic LiquidFreezer II 280 STORAGE: G.SKILL Phoenix FTL 240GB SSD, Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, Toshiba 2TB HDD, Seagate 4TB HDD

PSU: EVGA GQ-1000W 80+ Gold  CASE: The MESHMOD v1.0 (Custom Deepcool Matrexx 70 chassis)  MONITOR: AOC 24G2 144Hz (IPS) 

MOUSE: Logitech G502 HERO (wired)  KEYBOARD: Rosewill K81 RGB (Kailh Brown)  HEADPHONES: HiFiMan Ananda, Drop x Sennheiser HD6XX

IEMS: 7Hz Timeless, Tin Audio T2, Blon BL-03, Samsung/AKG Galaxy Buds Pro  STUDIO MONITORS: Mackie MR524, Mackie MRS10  MIC: NEAT Worker Bee  

INTERFACE: Focusrite Scarlett Solo  AMPLIFIER: SMSL SP200 THX AAA-888, XDUOO XD-05 Basic  DAC: SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII (upgraded AK4493 Version)

WHEEL: Logitech G29 + Logitech G Shifter

[Stream Encoder]

CPU: AMD FX-9590  GPU: Sapphire R9 390X (Tri-X OC)  MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth R2.0 (AM3+)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 (2x8GB)

COOLER: EVGA CLC 280 PSU: MSI A750GF 80+ Gold CASE: Phanteks P400A Digital

[Garage]

CAR: 2003 Honda Civic Coupe LX (EM2)  ENGINE: D17A1, planned K20A2 swap  INTAKE: DIY Solutions Short RAM  HEADERS: Motor1 4-2-1 with Cat-Delete

EXHAUST: Yonaka 2.5" Cat-Back with 3.5" tip (YMCB-CIV0105)  COILOVERS: MaXpeedingrods adjustable  RIMS: Core Racing Concept Seven Alloys (15x6.5)

RECEIVER: Kenwood DPX304MBT  SOUND DEADENING: Damplifier Pro Deadening Mats  SOUND DAMPENING: Custom solution, layers of thick insulation

DOOR SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-P710PS 6.5" Components  WINDOW LEDGE SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-6996PS 6x9" 5-Ways

6 minutes ago, OfficialTechSpace said:

Cooler Master MH-751

Good, affordable, 3.5mm plugs, and a detachable mic. Solid build quality also.

Sound is among the best in class of closed-backs under $100.

sitting at 80$ on amazon, might be really hard to pass up

1 hour ago, OfficialTechSpace said:

It's based on the ammoon TAKSTAR PRO 82, and so are half of hyperx's headsets, as well as some other ones. Good (for gaming headsets), yes, exceptional, no. Also in my opinion it looks pretty bad, like something you'd expect in a call center. 

1 hour ago, nolukjustskil said:

sitting at 80$ on amazon, might be really hard to pass up

I'd probably recommend the Koss GMR 540-air. It's a fairly comfortable, lightweight headset developed by... koss, and koss only. Now, koss headsets look a little silly and sometimes like toys, if you can get over that- in my opinion the gmr540 iso sounds better, and has a somewhat better mic. It has red branding on it yes, however not much of this should be visible while the headset is on. Another option is the koss Kph30i with grado pad swaps. This headset will not isolate as much sound as other headphones, but if you haven't tried hifi audio, these are actually general, cheap recommendations for people looking into getting into the hobby and can be suitable for listening- they stand toe-to-toe to the mh751 at the bare minimum, and likely outperform it in many aspects, at least in turn of sound quality. I would say the worst part about these headphones is that they do not have noise cancelling on the microphones, and they will pick up some background noise.... If that's not suitable for you, you can also try something more.. consumerist.

The sony hear.on.3's are available from costco from $80-$100 USD iirc. They have a noise cancelling mic AND active noise cancelling for the headset itself, a 3.5mm port, everything. Mic quality is alright but nothing special, it's wired competitors will beat it fairly easily, however over the phone, I don't actually think it'll make a difference. All three of the recommended headsets (yes, including the MH-751) do not seem to have noise cancelling features on the microphone, so this could be something to watch out for. The headphones are well-built, they're sleek, they look pretty nice, they don't sound half bad, and they have nice functionality/quality of life features. You might want to try them. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU