New CPU cooler time...?

Eighjan
Go to solution Solved by Eighjan,

Couldn't wait 'til the weekend...

Cooler off... dust bunny evicted... MX4 applied.

Result - Light load (YT LMG videos) = mid-to-high 40's °C.

Gonna call it a win.

TY's to @IkeaGnome,  @freeagent & @Votivee

Honorable mention to @JohnDeereBro

Having recently transplanted my PC's innards into a new case - with better airflow - my Ryzen 5 3600 is still running a tad toasty under light loads (web browsing, etc).

The last couple of hours has given this:

image.png.faf3d526e8f7e088284a2f1f031d5d9b.png

Is it time to retire my Pure Rock in favour of a 'better example'...?

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

1 minute ago, Eighjan said:

Having recently transplanted my PC's innards into a new case - with better airflow - my Ryzen 5 3600 is still running a tad toasty under light loads (web browsing, etc).

Is it time to retire my Pure Rock in favour of a 'better example'...?

The last couple of hours has given this:

image.png.faf3d526e8f7e088284a2f1f031d5d9b.png

What is your cooler? Is that idle temps or under a heavy load?

3 minutes ago, JohnDeereBro said:

What is your cooler? Is that idle temps or under a heavy load?

be quiet Pure Rock... web browsing; gaming gets into 80's

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

WHY NOT...?!

2 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

be quiet Pure Rock... web browsing

67C for a cpu is far from toasty. Most people would consider mid 80's and above toasty. Not 67c. That is a perfectly fine operating temp. 

When was the last time your thermal paste was changed? That cooler should be adequate for that CPU.

Have you dusted the cooler itself with compressed air in a while?

~Air Cooling Advocate~

1 minute ago, JohnDeereBro said:

67C for a cpu is far from toasty. Most people would consider mid 80's and above toasty. Not 67c. That is a perfectly fine operating temp. 

If the CPU *can idle* in the 30's, it says to me that something's 'inefficient' with the cooling, as is... just makes me wonder what.

Web browsing is hardly the most demanding task & I can't see why temp's in the 60's *should be fine*.

WHY NOT...?!

8 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

be quiet Pure Rock... web browsing; gaming gets into 80's

80 is fine for gaming. That will not damage your cpu in any way. Remember, if a cpu gets to hot it will throttle core clocks to reduce heat output or just shutdown all together if it gets really hot. You won't damage your cpu.

8 minutes ago, Votivee said:

When was the last time your thermal paste was changed? That cooler should be adequate for that CPU.

Have you dusted the cooler itself with compressed air in a while?

I've not *deep cleaned* the cooler since I built/installed it... nor changed the TIM - just wondering if doing that first is gonna be sufficient/looking into longer term options.

The be quiet! Pure Rock doesn't seem to be as capable a unit as the AC Freezer 7 Pro was, for my i5-4690K...

Edited by Eighjan

WHY NOT...?!

I've not *deep cleaned* the cooler since I built/installed it... nor changed the TIM - just wondering if doing that first is gonna be sufficient/looking into longer term options.

Do you remember what your temps were when you built it?

I really don't think this cooler needs updating unless you plan on moving up to a more powerful chip in the future and you want to carry over the same cooler. 

~Air Cooling Advocate~

4 minutes ago, Votivee said:

Do you remember what your temps were when you built it?

I really don't think this cooler needs updating unless you plan on moving up to a more powerful chip in the future and you want to carry over the same cooler. 

Edited above...

Original temps - no, sadly... but the original build was in an Antec P280 & not the Meshify C I have now.

I do have 'dreams' of a Ryzen 7 5800X... but not in the near future.

Edited by Eighjan

WHY NOT...?!

As stated above 80's are fine, though that cooler should perform better. 

If you're not happy with your temps I'd try cleaning it and reapplying thermal compound. Maybe check your fan curve. Much cheaper than buying an entirely new cooler. 

~Air Cooling Advocate~

Just now, Votivee said:

Maybe check your fan curve

... in the BIOS?

WHY NOT...?!

... in the BIOS?

Yep. If your BIOS has a crappy fan speed manager then there's alternatives like speedfan that you can use in Windows. Personally that's a last resort for me since the program has to be running. 

~Air Cooling Advocate~

A CPU running a game is not that hard for it. Its hard for the GPU. If  a CPU is set to throttle at 90 or so, what is your CPU going to do when it actually has some work to do? It will shit itself and overheat is what its going to do. Or that 80c you see on the CPU is because your case flow is inadequate. I never see temps like that from just running a game. Let alone web browsing..

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

10 minutes ago, Votivee said:

Yep. If your BIOS has a crappy fan speed manager then there's alternatives like speedfan that you can use in Windows. Personally that's a last resort for me since the program has to be running. 

MSI X470 Gaming Pro - doesn't seem to have customisable CPU fan curve... or I dunno where to look for it.

8 minutes ago, freeagent said:

A CPU running a game is not that hard for it. Its hard for the GPU. If  a CPU is set to throttle at 90 or so, what is your CPU going to do when it actually has some work to do? It will shit itself and overheat is what its going to do. Or that 80c you see on the CPU is because your case flow is inadequate. I never see temps like that from just running a game. Let alone web browsing..

World of Warcraft is still - as far as I know - heavily CPU dependant and I run it at 1440p/144; granted not the most demanding of games, but it's all I play.

Looks like I have a cooler to re-TIM in my not too distant future...

WHY NOT...?!

Restarted ~8 mins ago & already got this...

image.thumb.png.7a55a842b765be1c5fb7e56b74ffdde8.png

GPU's in the 30's, so that's cooling itself OK.

WHY NOT...?!

1 hour ago, Eighjan said:

Restarted ~8 mins ago & already got this...

Do you have spare paste? I'd remove the cooler, check your mounting pressure. Remove the 4 little spacers that go on the board and make sure you didn't put the am3 washers under the spacers. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

11 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Do you have spare paste? I'd remove the cooler, check your mounting pressure. Remove the 4 little spacers that go on the board and make sure you didn't put the am3 washers under the spacers. 

I've got some MX-4... I'll give it a look at the weekend.

I follow instructions religiously, so if it ain't on the list, it ain't gettin' included.  😛

WHY NOT...?!

1 hour ago, Eighjan said:

MSI X470 Gaming Pro - doesn't seem to have customisable CPU fan curve... or I dunno where to look for it.

World of Warcraft is still - as far as I know - heavily CPU dependant and I run it at 1440p/144; granted not the most demanding of games, but it's all I play.

Looks like I have a cooler to re-TIM in my not too distant future...

Oh yeah I totally get it. It just boggles my mind how a game can make a CPU so hot.. unless other components were affecting it. Even now the only thing that gets my CPU into the 80s is Linpack Xtreme and programs like it, some cinibench maybe if I am at the top of the range..

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

6 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

I've got some MX-4... I'll give it a look at the weekend.

I follow instructions religiously, so if it ain't on the list, it ain't gettin' included.  😛

I was hoping for something simple. 

That being said, there's a few Pure Rock coolers from Be Quiet. Assuming you have the slim, doesn't seem like you're doing too bad.

https://www.enostech.com/be-quiet-pure-rock-slim-2-cpu-air-cooler-review/

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7154/quiet-pure-rock-cpu-cooler-review/index.html#Test-System-Setup-Thermal-Tests-and-Noise-Results

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

4 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Assuming you have the slim, doesn't seem like you're doing too bad.

Nope - the original one:  https://www.bequiet.com/en/cpucooler/pure-rock/795

IF I upgrade, I'm prepared to go to a Dark Rock Pro 4 or an NH-D15...

Edited by Eighjan

WHY NOT...?!

5 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

That's rough. It does look like you're a little warmer than normal.

https://www.overclockers.com/quiet-pure-rock-review/

I know that's a different CPU so it's apples to oranges, but d15 compared to 3600 under a d15.

As far as your fan curves. Go into BIOS, Advanced, Hardware Monitor. Should look similar to this. Another dumb question that will be "I did, I follow the manual" but asking just to ask. The CPU fan is on the CPU Fan header yeah?

Spoiler

bios-manual-28.jpg

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

The CPU fan is on the CPU Fan header yeah?

Yeees... 🙂

All I get for fan curve alteration is a literal list - no fancy graphs.

WHY NOT...?!

5 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

Yeees... 🙂

All I get for fan curve alteration is a literal list - no fancy graphs.

You aren't by chance using an old BIOS? That motherboard should have supported the 3600 from the original BIOS. List but no graphs sounds like old BIOS to me? 

I'm just throwing crap out right now to try to get somewhere...

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

27 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

You aren't by chance using an old BIOS? That motherboard should have supported the 3600 from the original BIOS. List but no graphs sounds like old BIOS to me? 

I'm just throwing crap out right now to try to get somewhere...

Nope; newest, non-Beta one - 7B79v1F

I even went in & "Load Fail Safe defaults" or w/e they call it these days...

EDIT:

You've been a very helpful Gnome - everyone who posted has - but I'm gonna call it at "re-TIM the cooler", for now...

I may be back... after some sleep; 1:40 AM, here in the UK.

Edited by Eighjan

WHY NOT...?!