Building a PC for Photogrammetry

Hi team. Long time viewer, first time poster here.

I'm trying to upgrade a PC with a focus on photogrammetry processing and 3d modelling + rendering. I originally built my PC for doing simulations for VFX mainly using Blender / Houdini and Redshift for rendering but I am looking at focusing more on photogrammetry, asset creation etc. I'm trying to find the most optimal build for this work so I know I'm not wasting any time during processing. In my initial build I chose the AMD TR 1920x but I have noticed that its actually pretty slow with single threaded tasks. I don't really know enough about how photogrammetry works on the programming side, but from what I can tell from looking at task manager + resource manager, a lot of the little processes happening during image alignment are single threaded making me skeptical of my current set-up and how well optimised that is. Current set-up is 1920x w MSi 399x, 64GB corsair Dominator, Corsair ax1600, Nvidia 3090.

I guess my question would be: what's the best way of configuring a build for this, would I be better off to swap out the MOBO and CPU for an 11th gen intel? Or wouold my only real significant performance increase upgrading to the 39xxX Threadripper + MOBO? Would the drop in cores but increase in speed be better? Or is there the potential the multi-threaded tasks would be majorly impacted? Should I try and OC the 1920x? Happy to provide more information.

Anybody built for this kind of processing before and have an idea of what the most optimal build would be? I'm not really in a position to afford going to like Xeon + Quattro just yet. 

Budget (including currency): probably max 4k nz but I'd like to spend a lot less if I can avoid it.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Photogrammetry and 3d: Reality Capture, Agisoft metashape, Blender, Houdini, Redshift and some gamez

Other details Have: Case, Monitor, peripherals, Power supply, GPU, RAM

• 1 year later...

I know its been exactly a year but I was wondering what you decided to do since then?

Your hardware already was quite strong, im used to processing photogrammetry datasets with much less, even now.