Weird GPU behavior after reinstalling windows

Ungwelianti

2 days ago I decided it was time to do a fresh install of Windows, it was long due, also the installation I used was a lazy clone from my laptop, indeed not recommended I know. 

Anyways, after everything is installed all fresh, every game I run crashes almost instantaneously as soon as any rendering starts taking place. 

I searched for one of the crash messages (most don't even give me any messages just going straight to desktop) the answer I got was to underclocking my gpu. So I did, underclocking it with 20mhz on the core seem to work so far. 

But now to the odd part of it all. It all worked just fine prior to reinstalling windows, literally just hours before doing it, I played games just as normal. It was even perfectly fine with an overclock of about 50/500mhz (core/mem)  its a zotac gtx 1070 AMP edition, and changed heating paste to liquid metal recently. Temps tend to stay below 80C in full gaming with overclock which is totally normal even decent for theese cards (to my knowledge anyways) 

So, conclusion, stock clocks completely impossible to run games, and it changed to that after reinstalling windows. Anyone who have a clue what could be the problem? 

Why would you ever clone windows between two different PCs? And especially from a laptop. That is just begging for problems.

Please make fresh and clean install.

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

My first thought, since you didn't mention it, is to make sure you have the latest nvidia drivers installed. The ones that windows installs are much older. Motherboard chipsets drivers too.

Indeed, even used ddu to clean it before installing the latest one. 

9 minutes ago, Tegneren said:

Why would you ever clone windows between two different PCs? And especially from a laptop. That is just begging for problems.

Please make fresh and clean install.

Obviously I'm aware of this, getting old and lazy is the only reason I did it. While not the same, the hardware in both setups are almost identical. Was only suppose to be very temporary solution, but again, getting tired of fixing to many computers in my lifetime, so it got stuck with that clone for a couple of months. Hence why I now finally decided to reinstall it. 

4 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Step 1:  Find a 4+ GB USB you can wipe and not care

Step 2:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Step 3:  Download / Run the Media Creation tool on the USB Stick to make a win10 installation disk

Step 4:  Install Windows 10 clean, and wipe the whole drive while you do so

Just what I did, also what I always do when installing windows. It's 100% fresh, yet the problem did not occur until after this. 

16 minutes ago, ramava said:

My first thought, since you didn't mention it, is to make sure you have the latest nvidia drivers installed. The ones that windows installs are much older. Motherboard chipsets drivers too.

Indeed, even used ddu to clean it before installing the latest one. 

28 minutes ago, Ungwelianti said:

I searched for one of the crash messages (most don't even give me any messages just going straight to desktop) the answer I got was to underclocking my gpu. So I did, underclocking it with 20mhz on the core seem to work so far. 

What games are we talking about? Are they all DirectX 12? There's a problem with how it handles certain situations (or the games themselves do, not sure), especially with older cards. I've only had one actually give me an actual error, which I can't remember now, but it was about the driver sending some sort of reset signal to the card and the game freaked out about it. It always seems to happen (to me) when the GPU hits 100% usage. I adjust the Power slider in MSI Afterburner to 90-95% and it stops doing it, which is effectively underclocking it.

8 minutes ago, Ungwelianti said:

Just what I did, also what I always do when installing windows. It's 100% fresh, yet the problem did not occur until after this. 

then what is the "Lazy Clone of my Laptop" you mention?

18 minutes ago, tkitch said:

It was a Asus g752vm,  i7 6820hk, ddr4, gtx 1070 etc.  Desktop is/was i7 4930k (now xeon 2697v2), ddr3, Asus rampage iv black Ed mobo, gtx 1070 gpu. 

But still, this particular problem did not occur until after I did the fresh install. Everything updated. Not even installed any overclock tools until I read that downclocking it could solve the issue. 

8 minutes ago, ramava said:

What games are we talking about? Are they all DirectX 12? There's a problem with how it handles certain situations (or the games themselves do, not sure), especially with older cards. I've only had one actually give me an actual error, which I can't remember now, but it was about the driver sending some sort of reset signal to the card and the game freaked out about it. It always seems to happen (to me) when the GPU hits 100% usage. I adjust the Power slider in MSI Afterburner to 90-95% and it stops doing it, which is effectively underclocking it.

Oh I would have to check when I'm back home. But the titles I've tried and the same thing happens are

Dying light, warframe, escape from tarkov and some other ones. 

Steam seems to say the first two are DirectX 11. So maybe that's not it.

56 minutes ago, tkitch said:

I took it as, "This is a clean install to get rid of the lazy clone."