CM Storm Alcor First Impressions & Review

maxvons

Just got my new CM Storm Alcor mouse today. Wanted to try a bit smaller mouse for a change, but I'm already now gonna say that I think this mouse might be too small for just about anyone with a palm grip and 19cm or bigger hands.

I payed 299 NOK for this mouse, which is approximately 50 US Dollars. Really cheap in Norway

I actually do not know what the mouse costs in the US, but if it's 299 NOK here, it should be about half of that in the US. I think it would cost about 30-40 dollars in the US.

Design/Looks:

The mouse looks really good IMO. I think it looks better than the DA even. The matte black finish is really nice, and the silver bar on top is also very nice. The LED's look really bright and clean, and they don't look a bit blurry like on some other mice. I think this is the best looking mouse Cooler Master has ever made, and if you care much about looks, this is a mouse to consider.

424c1d9f2adb71b103ce9c7d158e7e67.png

84614f70ee82aab7e56372a21b3304e9.png

88cf232a6d03d09fdf3ce057b3391956.png

3fb97255547c6727663b54ff8ecc2fae.png

Comfort:

The comfort this mouse offers is decent. I think the mouse is a bit too short and a bit too thin. When I put my hand on the Deathadder after using the Alcor, is does feel way better, except for two things. 1. The coating is better on the Alcor, but it's really good on both. 2. The Alcor has a better right side that doesn't end in a sharp edge, and the buttons are kinda "sanded down" on the edge. I think the arch of the Alcor is a bit too far back and a bit too steep, it's better how it is on the DA and the Rival. The mouse seems quite good for fingertip, but I'm a palm gripper, so I can't really comment on that.The weight is the best part of the mouse, as it only weighs 86g

0e7c6065a8a46f5c89cd57301a57acb9.png

1499c970e53ec59c423e197715d355c5.png

Buttons/Scroll Wheel/Cord:

The Alcor is using Omron switches, which I believe are rated for 20 million clicks. The main buttons give really nice feedback and sound great. I think this are some of the best main buttons I've come across in a while. The main buttons on the Sensei are a bit better IMO, just a tad bit crisper and lighter. The side buttons are decent, and feel quite tactile. I think the side buttons are a bit too far forward, but I have this issue with all mice really. The DPI switching buttons do the job, but they don't feel or sound great. The scroll wheel is actually very good. It has distinct nothces for each scroll, but still manages to feel really smooth and quite silent. It's also very nice to click down, and doesn't feel stiff like some other scroll wheels. The cord is really and the most flexible one I've seen on a mouse so far. It doesn't feel flimsy, but not 100% quality either. The USB connector is gold plated.

b32cf14ad5cfd526876c79a95e3b50cc.png

Here's a quick video on the LED's and buttons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWKUJJyNAmI&list=HL1396364844&feature=mh_lolz

Sensor Performance/LOD:

I'm just gonna say that I'm not a huge sensor-fanatic, so I won't be posting paint pictures etc. I'm just gonna say that the sensor feels very good, and I don't feel any acceleration or distinct smoothing. It feels very similar to the DA and Rival sensor. One issue I have though, and I have never bothered or cared about this before now, is the LOD on this thing. It's just painfully high. I think you can apply a tape trick to this mouse, but that's not a permanent solution really, and I hope CM does something to adress this. The LOD is so high that I can almost use the mouse by not even having it on a surface.

Conclusion:

I think this is a quite decent mouse for the money, but I would pay a bit extra to get something like the DA 2013, SS Rival, Mionix Avior/Naos 7000 or G400s. They all just feel better in the hand IMO if you palm grip with an average male sized hand. If you like smaller and lighter mice, this might be for you though.

Scores:

Design/Looks: 9/10

Comfort (palm grip with 19cm hands): 6.5/10

Buttons/Scroll Wheel: 8/10

Sensor Performance: 9/10

LOD: 5/10

Price (bang for the buck): 10/10

Overall score: 7.9/10

Case: Fractal Design R4  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Plus  Processor: Intel i7 4770K  GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X  RAM: Corsair Vengenace Pro 16GB  PSU: Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 750W  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB   Monitor(s): LG 24GM77  Keyboard: Logitech G410  Mouse: Zowie EC1-A  Mousepad: Puretrak Talent White Ed.  Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II

The entire post doesnt tell us what you payed for it.. or the average price...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

The entire post doesnt tell us what you payed for it.. or the average price...

I thought people had an idea of what it costs anyway, but I'll include it.

Case: Fractal Design R4  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Plus  Processor: Intel i7 4770K  GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X  RAM: Corsair Vengenace Pro 16GB  PSU: Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 750W  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB   Monitor(s): LG 24GM77  Keyboard: Logitech G410  Mouse: Zowie EC1-A  Mousepad: Puretrak Talent White Ed.  Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II

I thought people had an idea of what it costs anyway, but I'll include it.

Only reason I mentioned it, is because in every review elsewhere they mention a price, or what to expect, nor do people wanna read your review.. THEN go find out more info when it should most likely have been stated already.

I liked your review, detailed, concise and does seem like a good mouse "for the right hands"

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Only reason I mentioned it, is because in every review elsewhere they mention a price, or what to expect, nor do people wanna read your review.. THEN go find out more info when it should most likely have been stated already.

I liked your review, detailed, concise and does seem like a good mouse "for the right hands"

Yes, I did include it now. I never care about the price in reviews though, but I guess it should be included.