HP Desktop claiming SSD is worn

MichaelLr

Just been working through the update to Win10 1H21 and the day after updating get a boot message that my SSD (system/boot drive) is worn to 95%. The system has only been in use for about 3 years.

Attaching a screenshot taken with my phone b/c the system is in a non-WIndows system diagnostic environment. I will see if I can get the HP model # and BIOS version of the system in the diagnostic tool, because the only things that have changed are external peripherals, the box itself is vanilla. This comes up on boot. I don't have a WIndows install disk but may be able to create something with a USB stick.

Specs:

Intel Core i7 7700

12GB RAM

128GB SSD (issue in question)+1TB HDD, plus an external T5
2GB nVidia GeForce 1050 running w DisplayPort
Realtek Audio
Intel WiFi
Not sure what power supply or motherboard, whatever is default in the system.

I have seen an article here ( https://www.n-able.com/blog/ssd-data-recovery-best-practices ) that suggests some potential things to try but was recommended to post here before trying anything. I have not turned the system off since getting this message. Wasn't sure if a power cycle would affect things adversely or not.

Thanks for your time
Michael

IMG_0859.thumb.JPEG.f01b509abef6266a4bb3c1fa448b0dea.JPEG

1 minute ago, MichaelLr said:

Not sure what power supply or motherboard

HP runs proprietary board and PSU, so theirs basically.

What about in crystaldiskinfo? Does the SSD report back its S.M.A.R.T?

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

If you are able to boot into windows, with that drive or another, you can use a SMART drive monitoring program like DiskCheckup to see what the issue might be specifically. Also Samsung does make drive monitoring software, not sure if your OEM model will support it. 

The bad news is that you might lose your data if something were to be wrong with the drive, the good news is that SATA SSDs are very cheap. You can purchase a new Samsung drive for less than $100. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Haven't been able to try crystaldiskinfo or speccy yet due to not being sure if I should try a reboot or not. Just wanted a second opinion on trying to restart into WIndows, I know the rules say try turn off and turn on again, but this seemed a bit of a special case.

Just now, MichaelLr said:

Haven't been able to try crystaldiskinfo or speccy yet due to not being sure if I should try a reboot or not. Just wanted a second opinion on trying to restart into WIndows, I know the rules say try turn off and turn on again, but this seemed a bit of a special case.

If you are able to boot into Windows that is the best case, you should try to make a backup as soon as possible. Or at least get your critical files off of that drive. The best option would be to clone the data to a new drive. You may lose access to the data on the HDD if you cannot boot to Windows as the data might be encrypted via Windows Bitlocker.  

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

I'll also note this is the first time I've had an SSD error out on me, so please forgive the concern about rebooting.

18 minutes ago, MichaelLr said:

OK I'll come back with updates

remember to quote us to get a respond. This forum does not default a thread follow to users who comment on a thread.

image.png.1425aec654ef0a230c7aeb4b91879b7c.png

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

24 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

remember to quote us to get a respond. This forum does not default a thread follow to users who comment on a thread.

image.png.1425aec654ef0a230c7aeb4b91879b7c.png

47 minutes ago, connorpiper said:

If you are able to boot into Windows that is the best case, you should try to make a backup as soon as possible. Or at least get your critical files off of that drive. The best option would be to clone the data to a new drive. You may lose access to the data on the HDD if you cannot boot to Windows as the data might be encrypted via Windows Bitlocker.  

New screens posted!