Upgrade Cooler Master Cosmos 1 Case

sixtailfox

So my cousin gave me his old pc and i was looking to maybe reuse some of the parts if they were still usable.

The parts that Ipm most interested about is the cooler a Cooler Master V8, i think its the first version since it only has 1 fan in the middle.

The power supply : a Cooler Master Real Power Pro RS-750-ACAA-A1 750W

And the Computer case a CoolerMaster Cosmos 1, the one with silver side panels, I thik the next version had side vents or something

So what I wanted to ask in this forum was

The Cosmos Case has some I/O ports in the front, it states that there are 4 USB 2.0 ports, a hearphone jack a microphone sata

I wanted to know if there would be any compatibility issues if i connected those IO ports from the case, to the pinout in a more current motherboard, is there a difference betwenn the latest USB version and USB 2.0 in the hardware aspect? or has it been purely in the firmware/software front?

If the ports werent compatible, are there expansion cards that can connect to the motherboard´s pinout to serve as the cases ports? I would 3D print a mounting bracket or somthing of course.

In case any one was wondering about the parts of the old PC:

MB: gigabyte ga-ex58-ud5

CPU: Intel Core i7 928

Memmory: 8 Gb in different formats mostly some chineese brand

Video Card: Power Color HD 4870

Power Supply: Cooler Master Real Power Pro RS-750-ACAA-A1 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

there shouldnt be any compatiblity issues with using the 4 2.0 ports on a new MB but you are going to be limited to 2.0 speeds. depending on what you plan on doing with this PC it was made in the late 2000s (2008 i ibelieve) and its way out of date for 90% of everything now.

4 minutes ago, tdkid said:

there shouldnt be any compatiblity issues with using the 4 2.0 ports on a new MB but you are going to be limited to 2.0 speeds. depending on what you plan on doing with this PC it was made in the late 2000s (2008 i ibelieve) and its way out of date for 90% of everything now.

what other things should i be cautious about? other than the IO ports? MB sizes or maybe the size of the brackets for the PCI slots?

the IO ports will still work but i dont think that there is a software or firmware update that can make them 3.0 but i havent dug deep enough myself to know for sure. most of the components sizes havent changed in the years so there isnt must to worry about that. its just if you are planning on replacing the CPU or MB you will need to buy a CPU or MB that has the same socket as the one you want takes. i know this is confusing as its hard to explain. what i mean is if you are looking to buy a new 11th gen CPU which fits a LGA1200, you are going to need a MB that has a LGA1200 socket on the board.

RAM is still the same size but the capacity has increased along with everything else. the physical sizes have pretty much stayed the same but the capacity has changed. 

35 minutes ago, tdkid said:

the IO ports will still work but i dont think that there is a software or firmware update that can make them 3.0 but i havent dug deep enough myself to know for sure. most of the components sizes havent changed in the years so there isnt must to worry about that. its just if you are planning on replacing the CPU or MB you will need to buy a CPU or MB that has the same socket as the one you want takes. i know this is confusing as its hard to explain. what i mean is if you are looking to buy a new 11th gen CPU which fits a LGA1200, you are going to need a MB that has a LGA1200 socket on the board.

RAM is still the same size but the capacity has increased along with everything else. the physical sizes have pretty much stayed the same but the capacity has changed. 

o no, i´m planning in changing most of the electronics,  the only electronics i´m thinking of preserve is PSU maybe, but structural i´m thinking the case since i undestand that MB sizes dont change, so i´m talking about new MB, new CPU, new GPU, new RAM.

Its like a what can I salvage from an old PC type of question

you can pretty much salvage anything and everything but i wouldnt waste the time since most of your components are way out of date. which in itself isnt bad because they will still work but be extremely slow for most task. structurally your case should be good if it doesnt have any major dents in it but i would look into it a little more detail first because i was just planning on doing the same thing you were doing in just replacing everything but the case a few years ago but the case i had at the time had a top mounted PSU meaning any new component i put in it wouldnt fit or at least i thought. so i got a new cheap case that i kept for a few years and replaced it a few months ago with a new case that should last me the rest of my life.

2 minutes ago, tdkid said:

you can pretty much salvage anything and everything but i wouldnt waste the time since most of your components are way out of date. which in itself isnt bad because they will still work but be extremely slow for most task. structurally your case should be good if it doesnt have any major dents in it but i would look into it a little more detail first because i was just planning on doing the same thing you were doing in just replacing everything but the case a few years ago but the case i had at the time had a top mounted PSU meaning any new component i put in it wouldnt fit or at least i thought. so i got a new cheap case that i kept for a few years and replaced it a few months ago with a new case that should last me the rest of my life.

Ohhh thats great, the PSU is a standar mount on the bottom, so I dont think there is going to be any problem, there are no dents, so I only had the question about the USB ports, so I just need to design a way to upgrade the extensions in the case, In the cooling forum they answered me that the Cooler was still a viable option since the socket´s mounting points are the same for lga 11xx, i just need to see if the PSU is still viable, the only reason I can think it wouldn´t is if the ports of the PSU changed in shape or size, or if it has been damaged but I think its okay as far as I know.

Thats great news about your change in case congrats, and thanks for the help

13 minutes ago, sixtailfox said:

Ohhh thats great, the PSU is a standar mount on the bottom, so I dont think there is going to be any problem, there are no dents, so I only had the question about the USB ports, so I just need to design a way to upgrade the extensions in the case, In the cooling forum they answered me that the Cooler was still a viable option since the socket´s mounting points are the same for lga 11xx, i just need to see if the PSU is still viable, the only reason I can think it wouldn´t is if the ports of the PSU changed in shape or size, or if it has been damaged but I think its okay as far as I know.

Thats great news about your change in case congrats, and thanks for the help

you are welcome and thanks.

there is this company called cablemod and they make custom cables for inside of computers so you can look them up to see if they have what you are looking for. you might want to look up you case specs before you make any decisions because the number 1 thing you need to know about PC building is if the components you want will fit inside the case. the motherboard is pretty much standard in if its an ITX, mATX, ATX or EATX board. your PSU will probably be fine as most just got longer but not really any taller. the CPU size doesnt matter as it will fit the board. the GPU is where you could run into a problem because it might be too long or too wide for the case. one of the upgrades i did recently was go from a ATI (now AMD) 6770 (see link below) to an nvidia RTX 2070 super. the power connectors for the GPU were on the side and didnt allow me to close the side panel of the case so it was open air until i got my new case. 

ATI Radeon HD 6770 1GB GDDR5 Graphics Card | eBay

5 minutes ago, tdkid said:

you are welcome and thanks.

there is this company called cablemod and they make custom cables for inside of computers so you can look them up to see if they have what you are looking for. you might want to look up you case specs before you make any decisions because the number 1 thing you need to know about PC building is if the components you want will fit inside the case. the motherboard is pretty much standard in if its an ITX, mATX, ATX or EATX board. your PSU will probably be fine as most just got longer but not really any taller. the CPU size doesnt matter as it will fit the board. the GPU is where you could run into a problem because it might be too long or too wide for the case. one of the upgrades i did recently was go from a ATI (now AMD) 6770 (see link below) to an nvidia RTX 2070 super. the power connectors for the GPU were on the side and didnt allow me to close the side panel of the case so it was open air until i got my new case. 

ATI Radeon HD 6770 1GB GDDR5 Graphics Card | eBay

Thanks a lot, I´ll check Cablemod, I´ve heard about them in LTT videos I´m not that worried about the case size since its a full tower but I will double check everything because its better to be safe than sorry.

Here is your reward: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzPiuRraCJ8

while doing some research I found this LTT video from 11 years ago, It just puts to perspective how much LTT has changed but also Linus´s style.