How to get 5.1 working from PC > AVR > TV

Go to solution Solved by HanZie82,
7 minutes ago, Casual Cube said:

That's weird because on all the forums, I keep seeing posts and even comments saying these tests net positive results. That there were launch parameters that can be used but it is unnecessary after Jan 2020.

I've already downloaded a "5.1 surround test" video from youtube and it was just a stereo file when I played it in vlc. Perhaps my method of downloading the video was just lossy.
I did run across a forum where someone uploaded a sample audio and when I played it (through the browser), it did indeed play in surround. Therefore, the browser does support it, its just depending on the websites method of deploying these files. Maybe its a YT/Netflix issue that I have. 

Seriously do not expect a browser to output surround, ive been using 6 channels speakers on PC for over 10 years. They DO NOT.
Not even Netflix. But they do have a windows App you can download from the store then you will get that sweet 5.1 goodness. And damn is it a difference.

It's just functions like these (as like multiple monitors) isnt used to much, so priority to fix is really low. So dont expect a full surround experience soon. Specialy since you use digital surround out, it wont even work in games. As Dolby live (what you need) is a payed program...

But just download some of those test files to your PC, and also make sure VLC is set up correctly to benefit from the extra sound channels.

ps. VLC  should pass-trough the audio to the amp and the amp should decode the DTS or Dolby:Digital stream. Else it will jsut be stereo again. 😉

Hello to anyone seeing this
I have a pretty old PC running Win10. I just got some stuff from my dad, his old Sony TV and his Harman Kardon 5.1 AVR. 
I put one of the HDMI outputs from my GPU to the AVR input, then sent the AVR output to the TV.
Then configured the playback device to be 5.1 Surround and the AVR to 5channel auto.

I ran into two issues.
Funnily, the surrR and surrL speakers are mixed up. I'm using the configure menu to play sounds on each individual speaker for testing (image below). 
I tried swapping these weird exposed copper cables in the back between SL and SR multiple times but it doesn't output the right sounds still. These cables have no proper cable heads and just go into this hole in the back held in by a latch. There's one for every speaker labeled appropriately. 

The second issue is that when I tried playing a youtube surround test video, (similar sample testing videos), only L,R,C and the subwoofer show output. Chrome and Edge both ignore the surround speakers altogether (youtube, netflix etc).

I'm very new to home theaters and TVs altogether so please shed some light onto these matters if you have a sec please. Thank you!

image.png

FIXED:
The surround speaker cables actually split into 2 copper heads each going into the AVR as "positive and negative" for each speaker. I was only swapping the "negative" cables but I was supposed to also swap the others.

Issue two however remains. I can't reproduce surround sound in the browsers

Ok first of Youtube DOES NOT have any surround. ITs Stereo or mono, nothing else.

13 minutes ago, Casual Cube said:

Issue two however remains. I can't reproduce surround sound in the browsers

Browsers mostly do not work with surround sound, just Stereo.

People will upload syurround material to youtube it just gets converted to Stereo at playback.

If you're able to download it and play it back using VLC or similar you will get the 6 channels.

Download some trailers here:

https://thedigitaltheater.com/dts-trailers/

And then play them back using VLC or better yet using K-lite codec pack using Media Player Classic HC. 🙂

Disclaimer there are some ways to try and get surround (or more then just 2 channels of audio) out a browser but as far as i could find its all really janky and not really implemented.

Edited by HanZie82
Made some links for the programs.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

7 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Ok first of Youtube DOES NOT have any surround. ITs Stereo or mono, nothing else.

Browsers mostly do not work with surround sound, just Stereo.

People will upload syurround material to youtube it just gets converted to Stereo at playback.

If you're able to download it and play it back using VLC or similar you will get the 6 channels.

That's weird because on all the forums, I keep seeing posts and even comments saying these tests net positive results. That there were launch parameters that can be used but it is unnecessary after Jan 2020.

I've already downloaded a "5.1 surround test" video from youtube and it was just a stereo file when I played it in vlc. Perhaps my method of downloading the video was just lossy.
I did run across a forum where someone uploaded a sample audio and when I played it (through the browser), it did indeed play in surround. Therefore, the browser does support it, its just depending on the websites method of deploying these files. Maybe its a YT/Netflix issue that I have. 

7 minutes ago, Casual Cube said:

Seriously do not expect a browser to output surround, ive been using 6 channels speakers on PC for over 10 years. They DO NOT.
Not even Netflix. But they do have a windows App you can download from the store then you will get that sweet 5.1 goodness. And damn is it a difference.

It's just functions like these (as like multiple monitors) isnt used to much, so priority to fix is really low. So dont expect a full surround experience soon. Specialy since you use digital surround out, it wont even work in games. As Dolby live (what you need) is a payed program...

But just download some of those test files to your PC, and also make sure VLC is set up correctly to benefit from the extra sound channels.

ps. VLC  should pass-trough the audio to the amp and the amp should decode the DTS or Dolby:Digital stream. Else it will jsut be stereo again. 😉

3 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Thanks for taking the time. I believe you are indeed right. These video sites don't in fact output surround. Which is a real shame. 
I'm gonna close up all my tabs I was doing research on 😆

This is my very first time using a surround system and its amazing. I have my dads old collection of blurays as well so I guess I'll be watching a lot of those to experience the surround speakers. I downloaded some of those trailers and they blew me away so I can't wait for these movies haha. 

Thanks again man, Enjoy!

1 minute ago, Casual Cube said:

Thanks for taking the time. I believe you are indeed right. These video sites don't in fact output surround. Which is a real shame. 
I'm gonna close up all my tabs I was doing research on 😆

This is my very first time using a surround system and its amazing. I have my dads old collection of blurays as well so I guess I'll be watching a lot of those to experience the surround speakers. I downloaded some of those trailers and they blew me away so I can't wait for these movies haha. 

Thanks again man, Enjoy!

Welcome to the wonderful world of how sound should be. 😄
I hope you have great succes with your system, i wish i had better news.

But them bluray's should help a lot, those usually have great surround on them.

Can't wait haha
and I just used the Microsoft Store App for Netflix ands the sound is awesome here too!
You helped me out just by pointing that out because now I can watch more than just the dvds I have in surround haha. Cheers man