GPU fans go 100% on 78C

Ziomek64

Hello, so as in the title my gpu fans go 100% on 78C even though i maxed them in my fan curve at 60% but at 78C it just ignores it. Is this normal , could it be that the bios is doing it or something? GPU : RTX 2080 STRIX non-super. I'm planning on replacing thermal paste as I bought it already.

4 minutes ago, Ziomek64 said:

78C ... GPU : RTX 2080 STRIX non-super.

what kind of system do you have it in that a strix card would go to 78c on 100% fan speed? defective card?

idk if it ramping to 100% is normal but it sure should do so in order to prevent it from overheating, which is about 83c(?)

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

16 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

what kind of system do you have it in that a strix card would go to 78c on 100% fan speed? defective card?

idk if it ramping to 100% is normal but it sure should do so in order to prevent it from overheating, which is about 83c(?)

No, I have 60% set maximum in my gpu tweaking software at it goes 100% only when it reaches 78 and above not 83 as you're saying. The card is not defective but it might be hot these days. I have the curve that goes up to 60% not always 60% of course

1 hour ago, Ziomek64 said:

No, I have 60% set maximum in my gpu tweaking software at it goes 100% only when it reaches 78 and above not 83 as you're saying. The card is not defective but it might be hot these days. I have the curve that goes up to 60% not always 60% of course

I bet it's bios/firmware safety override. I had the same thing with AMD, only when idling the card would slowly overheat overtime until the fan would go crazy at 75C. 

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

Could also be the hot spot/junction/vram temp.   Those could be up to 20 degrees hotter.   Card is trying to cool that as well, not just the core. 

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man