RMA Woes

Lumiaric

I am not sure how to handle this situation and wondering if anybody has any advice if they have handled something similar.

Got my 3080 rog strix in January where it sat in a box until last week when I finally got all my parts together.  Had everything laying on its side during assembly stood the case up and the fan shroud dropped/sagged down off the card. I immediately contacted support and sent them pictures along with the explanation and we processed an RMA.  Yesterday, I get an email from the service center requesting $830 FOR A REPAIR for what they claim is customer induced damage. So now i've gotten myself into a guilty until proven innocent situation.  I have no idea of knowing if they damaged it somehow, it got damaged in shipping to them or it was like that all along. The pictures I took of the card are seemingly not of the same angle where the damage took place.  Having paid above MSRP for the card on top of eating $200 because I had to buy it in a newegg shuffle combo with a mobo i'm not going to use, i'm not a very happy customer.  Any help/guidance would be much appreciated.

cardbefore.jpg

image2.jpg

img1.jpg

17 minutes ago, Lumiaric said:

Yesterday, I get an email from the service center requesting $830 FOR A REPAIR for what they claim is customer induced damage.

File a quotation dispute at https://www.asus.com/us/support/article/722/.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

35 minutes ago, Lumiaric said:

Got my 3080 rog strix in January where it sat in a box until last week when I finally got all my parts together.

37 minutes ago, Lumiaric said:

I have no idea of knowing if they damaged it somehow, it got damaged in shipping to them or it was like that all along.

Not of immediate help, but I've taught myself to check products upon arrival regardless if I'm building with it now or in 6 months to avoid exactly these difficulties. It'll be much easier to claim damage if you report it shortly after ordering/getting it versus months later.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

2 minutes ago, tikker said:

Not of immediate help, but I've taught myself to check products upon arrival regardless if I'm building with it now or in 6 months to avoid exactly these difficulties. It'll be much easier to claim damage if you report it shortly after ordering/getting it versus months later.

Ya.  Just wasn't really on my mind through the excitement I suppose.  Literally received it, opened it to just see it, and into the closet it went with the other parts till it was time to build.  Never had the issue before but i'll definitely keep it in mind for next time.