Your toughts on Gigabyte Motherboards

Hello Everyone,

I would like to know, did you guys have good experience with Gigabyte Motherbaords??

I had the Worst experience ever and i don't think its bad Luck.

So my First Motherboard i bought from gigabyte was the Gigabyte X58A-UD7. it worked well for a while then it died, so i bought it back to the Shop i bought it from they sended it in. GIgabyte gave us a new X58A-UD7 Motherboard. same thing again it died after a while, brought it back to the Store Gigabyte wanted to give us a new Motherboard (same modell) but we took a refund, so we upgraded to a Gigabyte X58A-UD9 worked well until it died too. back to repair cash refund again, then we bought an Gigabyte X58 G1.Assassin. ok and 6 months ago it died too. sooo anyone else had bad experiences with GIgabyte or is it just me? i don't want to hate Gigabyte but i think its Strange that motherboards die and i don't think its bad luck. I like Gigabyte Motherboards but i had bad experiences on reliability with them.

there really good motherboards, don't like the colour scheme though

Character artist in the Games industry.

Agree but they are soo unreliable in my experience

i dont go half ass on my systems, so i never go cheapo with motherboard or any hardware

Character artist in the Games industry.

Nobody should have that much bad luck. Maybe your powergrid/psu or something else is killing your boards? I built many Gigabyte systems, even with their cheap ass boards and until now nothing died, even my old 965P-DQ6 runs still fine.

I was using an Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W Power supply

I was using an Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W Power supply

Is your computer plugged into a UPS or is it plugged directly into the wall? While most of the time a dirty power problem would kill a PSU it's not entirely unheard of for the PSU to deal with it okay and pass the ripple on through to the components inside. A UPS would help this significantly as they tend to have better power regulation circuitry combined with computer logic to switch to battery if there's a high enough current or voltage spike.

I would also tend to agree with Andi, it seems like more is at play here than the motherboards, to have that many motherboards fail in that (relatively) short time span, even if they are from the same manufacturer is really unlikely.

Edited to add: Also, no matter the pedigree of the PSU it doesn't preclude it from having an issue. I use pretty much exclusively Seasonic power supplies but that doesn't mean I would be really taken aback if I pulled one out of the box and it was DOA, or it developed a problem over time. It happens, it's a reality of economies of scale and no matter how good your QA is a few will always slip through.

Hmm interesting, all of the Gigabyte motherboards i've used in system builds are all rock solid, none of them has died on me.

Delvaris, I don't have Gigabyte Motherboard i have ASUS P6T WS Proffesional. the latest Gigabyte board i bought was the G1.Assasin that died 6months ago and X58 motherboards were EOL so i had to buy ASUS P6T WS Proffesional.

My PSU is plugged directly into the wall right now im using Corsair AX1200i. my UD-9 board had 3 burned pins on the 24Pin Connector on the Mainboard. but it was stable for 24H Prime, 3Dmark.

UPD3 P55A?

I'm not sure I remember anymore. I've had nothing but good experiences with gigabyte mother boards though. I did however get a broken Msi Motherboard, it came with broken dim slots. So that was fun.

I now stick to gigabyte mostly just because I've had no issues so far.

Well they are better then Asrock and in my mind its a sort of tie between MSI,Asus,Gigabyte and DELL(because dell make beast motherboards(this is a joke please don't kill me(i don't have life insurance yet)))

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I have recently bought a Gigabyte X79-UD3 to use with a Core i7 3930k, should I ditch it and opt for a more expensive board instead? I haven't opened the box yet because I have to wait for more components.

(because dell make beast motherboards(this is a joke please don't kill me(i don't have life insurance yet)))

HAHAHAHAHAH Made my Day!

I have built 8 Systems using Gigabyte Motherboards including the X58A-UD7 which is my current motherboard, haven't had any issues with any of them, all still working perfectly.

i7 930 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte X58A-UD7 | Seagate ST2000DX001 SSHD 2TB | WD5000AAKX 500GB | Samsung SH-B083A Bluray Drive | Gigabyte GTX 670 2GB GV-N670OC-2GD | Corsair 12GB 1600Mhz CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9 | Corsair H50 in Push Pull | SeaSonic X750 | CM 690 II Advanced | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | HP 2159M 1080p | Asus ProArt PA238Q 23" 1080p IPS Monitor | Asus VS239H IPS 1080p (Portrait) | Razer BlackWidow Expert MX Blue (2011) | Razer Lachesis 5600

I've never had any issues with Gigabyte motherboards. Currently, my wife's computer has a Gigabyte board. Mine has an ASUS motherboard - but a Gigabyte video card. :)

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD

Gigabyte is rock solid, if anything i find Asus overpriced becuse ususaly theres a gigabyte option thats cheaper with pretty much the same features.  i've been useing gigabyte as far back as A socket of AMD , only motherboard thats ever failed me was an Asus Nforce board , forget the exact name becuse this was years and years ago. 

Back in the day I bought a Gigabyte motherboard for an Athlon 64 build. It lasted 7 years so I have no issue with Gigabyte.

Not a big fan of their previous motherboards but I've grown to like them now since they've improved the color scheme on them. They are rock solid boards in my opinion. Many budget builders and even enthusiasts like Linus uses them.

Join the LinusTechTips Star Citizen Org :D ~ https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

That's... strange. The quality of the components used on those boards are actually very good, the power delivery of the UD9 especially is probably one of the best with X58. I'm genuinenly suprised that you've had so much issues of dying boards with them, do you know what the causes were?

X58A-UD7 didn't startup after pc was shutdowned. so we sended it in for RMA and it was defect, second time PC worked fine and then it didn't want to post checke CPU ram GPu no problem sended Board in for RMA and it was defect, buyed UD9 it worked well for a long period and then it died too because the 24PIN ATX connector was burned somehow. G1.Assasin same like the UD7 it just didn't want to post. checked CPU,GPU,RAM no problem sended board in for RMA and it was defect. Gigabyte couldn't repair the G1.Assasin because X58 production is already stopped they gave us money back. so im using the ASUS P6T WS proffesional right now were thinking to sell my CPU(i7 990X) and buy Z87.

Gigabyte boards imo are pretty good boards. You probably got unlucky and got a bad board? Their quality are as solid as Asus motherboards imo.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Reliability wise the Gigabyte, ASUS, and MSI are all at the same level.  Foolish is the person who curses the mobo manufacturer because "their" board was faulty.  It's technology, stuff breaks, it happens.  Now, on occasion these manufacturers have put out a particular model of board that was uncommonly plagued with issues.  EVGA comes to mind with one of their recent boards.

My Stuff:  Corsair Obisidan 550D - Phobya Nano-2G 120mm x 5 - Corsair H100i - MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming - Intel 3570K - G.Skill 8GBx2 1866 - EVGA ACX GTX 780 3GB SuperClocked(Step Up to 780 Ti) - Samsung 840 500GB SSD - WD Black 1TB x 2 - LG Blu-ray - ASUS VG248QE + ASUS PB278Q - Corsair M65 with MM400 Pad - Ducky Shine II MX Brown with Gray/White Keycaps - Corsair K70 MX Red - CoolerMaster Quickfire TK MX Brown - Ducky Pro2 MX Blue with Gray PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Clears with Gray/Blue PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Browns with Light Gray and White PBT Keycaps

10 Years ago Asus was king hands down but the story has changed. I agree with ARod

Reliability wise the Gigabyte, ASUS, and MSI are all at the same level.  Foolish is the person who curses the mobo manufacturer because "their" board was faulty.  It's technology, stuff breaks, it happens.  Now, on occasion these manufacturers have put out a particular model of board that was uncommonly plagued with issues.  EVGA comes to mind with one of their recent boards.

I've currently got the Gigabyte Z77-UD5H i've only had it for 4 months now and it seems pretty solid. has lots of features, its not super high end but its pretty decent. Some people complain about the colour scheme but for me i was building a black and blue system, the pcb is black and the heatsinks are blue so it fat perfectly.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

I've had 3 or 4 of them and I've never had a problem with them. I'd recommend them to anybody

i7-3960X@4.4 GHz, H100i (W/ AP-15 Fans), R9 290X , 32GB DDR3 1866 MHz, Asus RIVE, CM HAF X