Need help finding desktop replacement.

I live in Canada and my budget (before taxes) is $1600 (i could go a bit over if its justified) and I need a desktop replacement for light to medium gaming (skyrim, no mans sky, and other steam games) and use for university, (some rendering and code compiling) . I sold my gaming pc last year hoping to build a new 3090/5950x pc. Its been an eternity and prices are just too damn high so Im going to buy a laptop to get my by until I can actually get parts for msrp.  Any suggestions on the absolute best gaming laptop for $1600 CAD? Im not opposed to refurbished models if its a reputable source with a warranty. 

I used to own a Lenovo Y740, and it performed well overall.

You should be able to check out the Lenovo site for current prices. They often have sales on which is great.

Another good option is the Acer Predator Helios 300.

PSU Tier List   AMD Motherboard Tier List   SSD Tier List

If your issue is resolved, please share the fix with the community.

Since you are planning on using it to get by and you want something that is in stock right now, how about last years Lenovo Legion 5 model?
https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/laptops/legion-laptops/legion-5-series/Legion-5-17-AMD/p/82GN003WUS
image.thumb.png.8702584b34d05b860f9533a9f11762ec.png

AFAIK Lenovo displays local prices on their websites, since this is the /ca/ page the prices above should be in CAD.

If you want an even more powerful laptop, like something with 3070 and an even better CPU it would go over your budget: ~2.5K CAD for Rog Strix (if you can find it, stock is constantly changing) or if you want this years Lenovo Legion 5 Pro model (superior to Strix) you will have to wait (unavailable in CA for now).

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet