I chipped of a capacitor on my gpu.

Snorrlax

I chipped of a capacitor,transistor on my HD 7850 (while inserting it into the pci-e slot) and I need opinions if it would be safe for me to continue using it.

I actually did power on the pc with the card inserted into the slot and it did show an image on the monitor but the fan ran at 100% speed so I quickly shut off the pc so I didn't actually get to windows.

also the capacitor,transistor that got chipped off goes to the blue wire for the gpu fans.

one thing as well is that ether the gpu broke the motherboard as well or the spare gpu that I had was broken already (might be a possibility, have not used it for a long time) since the fan speed on it is stuck at 100% as well and the rpm meter on it doesn't work.

could I possibly get a fan controller or something and continue to use the gpu with that?

(excuse my english, it isn't particularly good)

and here is a decent picture of the problem.

post-29802-0-48809000-1396303146_thumb.p

I have no clue what would happen. It might break the card or it might carry on working until a certain point. Imo I would try and replace it or something to be on the same side.

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

You'll have to solder it back on otherwise you'll have to RMA it and hope they accept it (don't tell them the truth) and if they don't you'll have to buy new one and sell that one on eBay for praticly nothing b/c no ones going to buy a dead gpu. If you need some help soldering here's some videos.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

That isn't a capacitor. That's a resistor.

I chipped 2 off of my motherboard. It runs fine. I wouldn't worry about it until you try it.

Don't get me wrong, this can probably break your GPU permanently (unless you solder the resistor back on), but it just really depends which ones you knocked off.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Buy a new one and replace it :P

You'll have to solder it back on otherwise you'll have to RMA it and hope they accept it (don't tell them the truth) and if they don't you'll have to buy new one and sell that one on eBay for praticly nothing b/c no ones going to buy a dead gpu. If you need some help soldering here's some videos.

I'm currently trying to find the parts that fell off but those things are so tiny that its ridiculous.

That isn't a capacitor. That's a resistor.

I chipped 2 off of my motherboard. It runs fine. I wouldn't worry about it until you try it.

Don't get me wrong, this can probably break your GPU permanently (unless you solder the resistor back on), but it just really depends which ones you knocked off.

yeah I personaly think it might be okay since it goes into the fan header thing but I wanted more opinions on it before I really started using it.