Windows freezes after graphics driver

Plate

Hi, it is me again.

So, after a miraculous windows 10 installation, I went on to connect the laptop to the internet, to download all the required updates.

And here is where the problem occurred.

It downloaded the intel HD graphics driver automatically and the whole laptop froze, completely unusable at the moment.

Is there a way to somehow get rid of this driver safely? And perhaps, afterwards tell Windows to NOT download this driver ever again?

Are you able to boot into Windows now? If yes, you can go into Device Manager and then double click the graphics and then "Driver" tab and then there should be an option to rollback.

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

I am quite scared to hard power off the system, since it froze whilst other windows updates were rolling and worried to potentially brick or break the system in any way.

8 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

You should be able to boot up into safe mode with networking and from there download DDU and use it to remove the graphics driver.

Okay I can try this, with the worry of any ongoing windows updates still in the background.

How can I boot into safe mode from a frozen screen or from a full system power off ?

9 minutes ago, Plate said:

How can I boot into safe mode from a frozen screen or from a full system power off ?

According to: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode-in-windows-10-92c27cff-db89-8644-1ce4-b3e5e56fe234

1. Hold down the power button for 10 seconds to turn off your device.

2. Press the power button again to turn on your device.

3. On the first sign that Windows has started (for example, some devices show the manufacturer’s logo when restarting) hold down the power button for 10 seconds to turn off your device.

4. Press the power button again to turn on your device.

5. When Windows restarts, hold down the power button for 10 seconds to turn off your device.

6. Press the power button again to turn on your device.

7. Allow your device to fully restart. You will enter winRE.

Now that you are in winRE, you will follow these steps to take you to safe mode:

1. On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.

Choose an option screen in the Windows Recovery Environment.

Troubleshoot screen in the Windows Recovery Environment.

Advanced options screen in the Windows Recovery Environment.

Startup Settings  screen in the Windows Recovery Environment.

2. After your device restarts, you'll see a list of options. Select option 5 from the list or press F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.

This should work for you.

EDIT:

9 minutes ago, Plate said:

with the worry of any ongoing windows updates still in the background

Windows won't update in Safe Mode.

Edited by LTTfan2006

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

VPN Server Guide

3 minutes ago, LTTfan2006 said:

Thank you for this. 🙂 I hope updates are not gonna mess up the system... I don't know why I am so skeptical about those updates... I just can't help it D:

1 minute ago, Plate said:

I don't know why I am so skeptical about those updates

Even I cant understand. You can't, in any way, "brick" your system by a Windows Update. That can only happen during a BIOS update. If an update goes wrong, you can always re-install Windows. And since you have just installed Windows, I dont expect you to have done a ton of changes to the PC, which you dont want to do again if you reinstall Windows.

Interrupting an update can be problematic sometimes, I have got a laptop(old and thankfully I dont even use it) which somehow was interrupted during an update, and it just wont boot now(BSOD when powered on). This doesn't happen too often now, Windows does keep backups and will revert back if interrupted.

5 minutes ago, Plate said:

I did it, and the automatic repair started

That's good. Here's a video showing how to get into the safe mode if you need(I have added the timestamp from the useful part of the video):

Good luck!

^

VPN Server Guide

4 minutes ago, LTTfan2006 said:

Even I cant understand. You can't, in any way, "brick" your system by a Windows Update. That can only happen during a BIOS update. If an update goes wrong, you can always re-install Windows. And since you have just installed Windows, I dont expect you to have done a ton of changes to the PC, which you dont want to do again if you reinstall Windows.

Interrupting an update can be problematic sometimes, I have got a laptop(old and thankfully I dont even use it) which somehow was interrupted during an update, and it just wont boot now(BSOD when powered on). This doesn't happen too often now, Windows does keep backups and will revert back if interrupted.

That's good. Here's a video showing how to get into the safe mode if you need(I have added the timestamp from the useful part of the video):

Good luck!

So. A little update.

After the auto diagnostics, the laptop booted up fine on its own.

Went on to check updates, and I saw this. 

image.png.98dfbae81c91b7f829326ed4f1bbbc29.png

And quite surprisingly, it seems it was not the Intel HD driver.. it was this one, because, the moment this AMD display driver finished, it froze again.

I guess the same procedure to get the system back up running? 

If so, how can I stop windows from downloading this exact driver after?

So. A little update.

After the auto diagnostics, the laptop booted up fine on its own.

Went on to check updates, and I saw this. 

image.png.98dfbae81c91b7f829326ed4f1bbbc29.png

And quite surprisingly, it seems it was not the Intel HD driver.. it was this one, because, the moment this AMD display driver finished, it froze again.

I guess the same procedure to get the system back up running? 

If so, how can I stop windows from downloading this exact driver after?

Is this occurring in safe mode?

^

VPN Server Guide

2 minutes ago, LTTfan2006 said:

Is this occurring in safe mode?

I don't think it went into Safe Mode after the auto repair.

How can I distinguish whether I am in safe mode or not? I should not have a desktop picture right?

I don't think it went into Safe Mode after the auto repair.

How can I distinguish whether I am in safe mode or not? I should not have a desktop picture right?

And you should see some text at the bottom right mentioning "Safe mode"

^

VPN Server Guide

8 minutes ago, LTTfan2006 said:

And you should see some text at the bottom right mentioning "Safe mode"

Then it indeed booted normally on its own.

Then it indeed booted normally on its own.

Okay.. Are you at least able to boot to the login screen? If yes, click on that power button(at the login screen) in the bottom right and then while holding down the shift key, press "Restart". It should restart and get you to a screen that shows you the menu and then you should be able to navigate to boot into safe mode.

^

VPN Server Guide

2 minutes ago, LTTfan2006 said:

Okay.. Are you at least able to boot to the login screen? If yes, click on that power button(at the login screen) in the bottom right and then while holding down the shift key, press "Restart". It should restart and get you to a screen that shows you the menu and then you should be able to navigate to boot into safe mode.

Well, it is frozen again, due to the amd driver installation, so I would need to repeat the power cycles to maybe trigger the auto diagnostics tool again, or the troubleshoot menu would now show up.

20 minutes ago, LTTfan2006 said:

okay, got into the safe mode with networking.. now I should install ddu and uninstall the amd driver?

if so, how can I stop windows from downloading this driver again after?

6 minutes ago, Plate said:

okay, got into the safe mode with networking.. now I should install ddu and uninstall the amd driver?

if so, how can I stop windows from downloading this driver again after?

Yes. DDU the driver. 

To stop Windows from doing its mess again, I think going into the settings, then Update & Security, and "View Update History", then "Uninstall updates" and then uninstall the update that caused the problem. I think this will stop Windows from installing that update in the future.

^

VPN Server Guide

21 minutes ago, LTTfan2006 said:

Yes. DDU the driver. 

To stop Windows from doing its mess again, I think going into the settings, then Update & Security, and "View Update History", then "Uninstall updates" and then uninstall the update that caused the problem. I think this will stop Windows from installing that update in the future.

Okay, and since it was the first launch of DDU , options window popped up. The option to "delete C:\AMD driver folders (not recommended) " is already checked, should I keep it checked or uncheck it?

2 minutes ago, Plate said:

Okay, and since it was the first launch of DDU , options window popped up. The option to "delete C:\AMD driver folders (not recommended) " is already checked, should I keep it checked or uncheck it?

Keep it checked. 

^

VPN Server Guide

1 minute ago, LTTfan2006 said:

Keep it checked. 

clean and restart i guess?

43 minutes ago, LTTfan2006 said:

Yes. DDU the driver. 

Huh, interesting. When I went to updates again, it is not downloading this AMD driver update, only the cumulative upgrade above the amd one on the picture above.

When I go to the view update history, and uninstall updates, I cannot find the amd driver update, it seems these are only like system(?) updates and not drivers.

And it froze again..... I am so pissed and desperate at the same time....

3 minutes ago, Plate said:

Huh, interesting. When I went to updates again, it is not downloading this AMD driver update, only the cumulative upgrade above the amd one on the picture above.

When I go to the view update history, and uninstall updates, I cannot find the amd driver update, it seems these are only like system(?) updates and not drivers.

And it froze again..... I am so pissed and desperate at the same time....

What if you open Device Manager and check if that AMD driver is present? Also, if you go into your Intel HD Graphics, in the "Driver" tab, is the "Roll Back Driver" button grayed out?

^

VPN Server Guide

9 minutes ago, LTTfan2006 said:

What if you open Device Manager and check if that AMD driver is present? Also, if you go into your Intel HD Graphics, in the "Driver" tab, is the "Roll Back Driver" button grayed out?

I am going back to safe mode and check these real quick.

11 minutes ago, LTTfan2006 said:

Yes, it seems that exact AMD driver is still present, and the option to revert changes on the Intel driver is available.