Looking for advice on repairing or replacing a bike

Belac F

Hey guys,

I use my bike primarily to get from location to location, but I also occasionally go mountain biking. I do not insure my car year round, so for most of the summer I would be using it for transportation. I was using a Schwinn fat tire bike, but it looks as though the rear derailleur needs to be replaced, as it has bent badly into the spokes. The chain also needs to be replaced, as it is way to tight (most likely due to the large amount of rust, and also appears to be the cause of the damaged derailleur). This bike was picked up for 350 CAD on clearance 2 years ago and was my primary method of transportation for the first winter. 

I have two questions. 

1. How much would it cost to repair and would it be worth it?

2. The repalcement bike I am looking at is here: https://mudsweatandgears.ca/product/2021-norco-xfr-3/. I know little about specs for bikes  and what makes a good option, and my options are limited. For 730 CAD, is this worth it? I have a decent ammount of expendable income, however I am trying to save as much as possible, as I am moving out and starting university in a few months, so I would like to keep the cost down as much as possible. Unfortunately this price range is almost always sold out 😞 I am also heading to the mountains for the weekend, and if possible I would like to have a bike to take with me.

Thanks yall 🙂 

PC: 

i5 8400 - RTX 2060 - Strix B360-I - Thermaltake 240mm AIO - 16GB Vengeance RGB PRO - CRYSTAL 280X - HD Plex 400w AC/DC Converter

CUSTOM KEYBOARD:

Gmmk Pro  - Gateron ink Black v2 lubed and filmed - GMK Red Samurai - PC plate - Zeal stabs

DAILY TECH:

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Smartwatch - Galaxy A70 - Bose QC Earbuds - Bose SoundLink Wireless - Ultimate Ears Wonderboom 

Just get the parts, new or used(in good condition) and fix it yourself, it's quite easy. And, your chain should not be rusty. ALWAYS oil your chain use oil or chain lube.

20 hours ago, LWM723 said:

Just get the parts, new or used(in good condition) and fix it yourself, it's quite easy. And, your chain should not be rusty. ALWAYS oil your chain use oil or chain lube.

Thanks for the advice! I picked up the parts and both dry and wet chain lube and saved a LOT of money. Already installed the new parts

PC: 

i5 8400 - RTX 2060 - Strix B360-I - Thermaltake 240mm AIO - 16GB Vengeance RGB PRO - CRYSTAL 280X - HD Plex 400w AC/DC Converter

CUSTOM KEYBOARD:

Gmmk Pro  - Gateron ink Black v2 lubed and filmed - GMK Red Samurai - PC plate - Zeal stabs

DAILY TECH:

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Smartwatch - Galaxy A70 - Bose QC Earbuds - Bose SoundLink Wireless - Ultimate Ears Wonderboom 

2 minutes ago, Belac F said:

Thanks for the advice! I picked up the parts and both dry and wet chain lube and saved a LOT of money. Already installed the new parts

I was concerned about getting the right parts, went to a local bike shop and it only took 5 min, and wasn't that expensive either.

PC: 

CUSTOM KEYBOARD:

DAILY TECH: