Mining on mac.

How should I start mining on my mac. I have the mac air m1 base variant,

1.would it be possible for me to mine on this variant?

2.How would it affect my MacBook's longevity and and other software's performance on the device?

3. Which all mining platforms can i use,(does nicehash work on the mac??)

4. How much would be the power consumption and will it be worth the investment??

5. Some other tips u might wanna share with this beginner!!

Mining on an M1 is entirely worthless, anything without a high end discrete GPU is.

https://www.techradar.com/news/the-apple-m1-chip-can-now-mine-ethereum-but-is-it-worth-it

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

It’s less than 20 cents a day. It’s not worth the time it takes to set up, and the potential software/hardware issues.

2 hours ago, Antonio Gonzales said:

How should I start mining on my mac. I have the mac air m1 base variant,

1.would it be possible for me to mine on this variant?

Sure!

2.How would it affect my MacBook's longevity and and other software's performance on the device?

Doing heavily compute-based tasks like mining and folding can be very intensive! Don't expect a lot of things to run very well while you're doing it. Performance will go back to normal when you stop.

IIRC the new M1 MacBook Air doesn't have a fan. Take that what you will on how well it'll run.

As for longevity, well, probably not too much, but I can't say running something intensive nonstop on an ultrabook form factor laptop is great for it. Your battery will probably hate it.

3. Which all mining platforms can i use,(does nicehash work on the mac??)

I know Ethereum works based on the article Kilrah linked.

You can also use a VM to run other operating systems (but not dual boot iirc), though note that you will only be able to run ARM-based operating systems (which will only be able to run ARM-compatible applications).

4. How much would be the power consumption and will it be worth the investment??

How much power consumption? A lot. Don't expect your battery to last long.

Is it worth the investment? Absolutely not.

The article quoted $0.14/day. If a MacBook Air is $999, then it'll take about 20 years before you start making money back.

5. Some other tips u might wanna share with this beginner!!

The M1 is a pretty good low-powered SoC for doing lots of things (web browsing, productivity, light gaming, etc.). Mining is not one of those things.

If you're really interested in mining, I recommend building or buying a gaming PC. You can use that to play games, and then you can mine when you're not using it. It definitely won't be cheap (especially with shortages) and it will suck quite a bit of power and resources when you're using it to mine, but hey, you get an actual gaming system that may (eventually) pay for itself.

8 hours ago, SnowyMus said:

The M1 is a pretty good low-powered SoC for doing lots of things (web browsing, productivity, light gaming, etc.). Mining is not one of those things.

If you're really interested in mining, I recommend building or buying a gaming PC. You can use that to play games, and then you can mine when you're not using it. It definitely won't be cheap (especially with shortages) and it will suck quite a bit of power and resources when you're using it to mine, but hey, you get an actual gaming system that may (eventually) pay for itself.

HP OMEN Laptop 15z-en100

Specs-:

AMD Ryzen™ 7 5800H (up to 4.4 GHz, 16 MB L3 cache, 8 cores, 16 thread) + NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3060 (6 GB)

16 GB DDR4-3200 SDRAM (2 X 8 GB)

Configure (hp.com)

Can't buy a pc(college doesn't allow ). 

Will this laptop do fine I was planning to get this.

And one more thing how much would I benefit if I upgrade my processor to RTX 3070 

(8GB)by adding 200$ extra to my billing??

18 hours ago, Antonio Gonzales said:

HP OMEN Laptop 15z-en100

Specs-:

AMD Ryzen™ 7 5800H (up to 4.4 GHz, 16 MB L3 cache, 8 cores, 16 thread) + NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3060 (6 GB)

16 GB DDR4-3200 SDRAM (2 X 8 GB)

Configure (hp.com)

Can't buy a pc(college doesn't allow ). 

Will this laptop do fine I was planning to get this.

It'd certainly be a lot better for mining than the MacBook!

I still wouldn't recommend buying it if you were only going to mine on it, though. Get it to play games or do work, and mine on the side when you aren't using it maybe.

18 hours ago, Antonio Gonzales said:

And one more thing how much would I benefit if I upgrade my processor to RTX 3070 

(8GB)by adding 200$ extra to my billing??

Yes.