Barrow Check Valves Don't Work? Please Help

image.thumb.png.f165730bcf07be80d6b3b1f0ee3ade04.png

I have a couple of these check valves. I thought check valves work in the way where they only let fluid flow in one direction, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

I put the valve above in the closed state. I hold it up vertically and put water in one side and it doesn't flow through. I flip the valve and repeat, no water flows. It appears that the closed state prevents water from flowing in both directions.

I put the valve in the open state and hold it up vertically. I then put water at the top and it flows through. I flip the valve over so the bottom is now at the top and put water in it and it flows through.

It appears that this check valve allows water to flow in any direction?? This isn't what I was expecting when I did this test. I was expecting water to flow in only one direction.

Any help?

Im fairly certain that is exactly the way it is supposed to work. My understanding is they are basically just a variation on a stop valve similar to a ball valve

30 minutes ago, Ravendarat said:

Im fairly certain that is exactly the way it is supposed to work. My understanding is they are basically just a variation on a stop valve similar to a ball valve

I don't understand 😞

I thought a check valve was to only allow water to flow one way? Meaning say I had the valve in the open state. I was expecting water to flow Left to Right only and that if water attempted to flow Right to Left the valve would close and water wouldn't be able to flow in this direction.

Am I misunderstand what a check valve is supposed to do?

What exactly does this Barrow Check Valve do?

51 minutes ago, Yoshi Moshi said:

I don't understand 😞

I thought a check valve was to only allow water to flow one way? Meaning say I had the valve in the open state. I was expecting water to flow Left to Right only and that if water attempted to flow Right to Left the valve would close and water wouldn't be able to flow in this direction.

Not always, a check valve can also just stop fluid from passing either direction when closed or both directions when open. There are a number of different types of check valves. Yours is working the way it was designed even if its not the way you hoped

20 minutes ago, Ravendarat said:

Not always, a check valve can also just stop fluid from passing either direction when closed or both directions when open. There are a number of different types of check valves. Yours is working the way it was designed even if its not the way you hoped

So what exactly does my check valve do? I'm not even sure other than stop flow when it's closed.

Is there any check valves that you can point me towards that allow flow in only one direction that i can put in my computer?

2 hours ago, Yoshi Moshi said:

So what exactly does my check valve do? I'm not even sure other than stop flow when it's closed.

Is there any check valves that you can point me towards that allow flow in only one direction that i can put in my computer?

In the case of the one you bought, all it does is stop the flow when its closed. As for a one way valve like you are describing, I have no idea where to get one. What are you using it for exactly?