5800X + Thermals - What am I doing wrong?

Go to solution Solved by KeyperOS,

Hi, just in case this will be of any use to someone else, I finally figured out what was the issue.

Unfortunately it was the LLC (Load Line Calibration) choices that the motherboard would make on Auto.

Through a lot of trial and error I discovered that if I set the LLC setting to "Normal" then I am able to get the system under control.

Unfortunately said tests have shown Core #4 to be a bit of a "dud".

I still haven't tested everything fully but at least I now know where to look.

CheerS!

13 minutes ago, KeyperOS said:

So, after extensive testing, I can only get the system to remain stable if I SERIOUSLY cripple it by setting CPB, PBO2 and XMP OFF so that I can set ALL voltages to "Normal". If even one of these "advanced" functions is enabled and I set any voltages to "Normal" then the system will not boot.

In this scenario, with VCore stuck at 1.025 and all cores topping out at 3.800MHz and not a single MHz more, the system remains at 45 C under "full load" and also remains stable. BTW, this is the only case in which EDC doesn't jump to100% when stress testing but remains at a constant 61% instead.

Does anyone have an idea/experience that would suggest this to be a CPU issue, Motherboard (H/W or BIOS) or perhaps sth else?
I admit to not testing the RAM but seeing as with XMP off the stress test would still fail whereas with all voltages on "normal" it no londer does, I suspect the RAM to be fine.

Any help would be very appreciated.
Thank you in advance

What happens if you increase the EDC and PPT in Ryzen Master?

Hi, just in case this will be of any use to someone else, I finally figured out what was the issue.

Unfortunately it was the LLC (Load Line Calibration) choices that the motherboard would make on Auto.

Through a lot of trial and error I discovered that if I set the LLC setting to "Normal" then I am able to get the system under control.

I still haven't tested everything fully but at least I now know where to look.

CheerS!

1 hour ago, KeyperOS said:

Maybe that is why it set such a high LLC?

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frozen Edge 360, 5x TL-B12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770, Asus Hyper M.2
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B12, TY-143

Just now, freeagent said:

Maybe that is why it set such a high LLC?

That could very well be it, I am not sure.

What I also do not know if whether this is reason enough to return the CPU for replacement...

Just now, KeyperOS said:

That could very well be it, I am not sure.

What I also do not know if whether this is reason enough to return the CPU for replacement...

Probably not.. unless it is failing tests, or showing hardware errors.

1 minute ago, freeagent said:

Probably not.. unless it is failing tests, or showing hardware errors.

This would be in the "gray area" I guess as it was the reason for failing stability tests one after another.

Setting everything to bone-stock would fix the issue... but AMD sells this CPU with boost turned on and expected to be a feature a user should use without trying to "work around" it.

I wonder what would happen if I got a motherboard without any LLC settings. From what I understand, these are present on more OC-oriented MoBos...

1 hour ago, KeyperOS said:

This would be in the "gray area" I guess as it was the reason for failing stability tests one after another.

Setting everything to bone-stock would fix the issue... but AMD sells this CPU with boost turned on and expected to be a feature a user should use without trying to "work around" it.

I wonder what would happen if I got a motherboard without any LLC settings. From what I understand, these are present on more OC-oriented MoBos...

Possibly, maybe AGESA has checks and balances in place in case all cores are not perfect.. I have no idea..

Yes, it does boost, but boost is programmed and if your environment does not provide its ideal conditions, your boost could vary greatly.

As for LLC.. I have no idea as I only use oc orientated boards. 2002 was the last time I had a board without one.. maybe 2003..

I just like to tinker..