USB Tethering

Hey

Still awaiting for a new WIFI Network card for my build. 

I need to work from home but my desktop is located on the other side of the house from my modem. I don't want to buy a massively long ethernet cable as it's a waste of money for something that will be fixed within the next 5 days. 

Was wondering if I could turn the WIFI on my phone then activate USB Tethering and that would use my home network rather than using my provider usage on my phone. 

I asked Samsung live chat and they said it's not possible but I find that hard to believe. 

Thanks for the help

<-- Moved to Networking -->

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I've done this before and it's actually pretty simple.

Get a USB cable and plug your phone into your computer, first making sure it is connected to your home Wi-Fi.

When you do this, a notification will appear saying something like "Using USB to charge this device - tap for more options".

Click on this notification.

You should then see a menu like this:

Screenshot_20210509-083032.png.b453a6e6db3d6e8894bd5e98b1f84e73.png

Select "USB tethering" from this menu. After a few seconds, Windows (or Linux, if you're into that) should register that you are connected to a network and you can just use the internet normally (as long as your phone remains plugged into your computer and connected to Wi-Fi)

Hope this helps!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.