Windows 10 Won't update

Daan1
Go to solution Solved by mikeyw64,

personally I would back up any data to a secondary internal/external drive, create a brand new W10 USB installer and start from scratch.

Alternatively try the instructions at

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-0x800f0988/cddbd7c4-7bfa-4128-87d1-5712477faf4e

The last few months I've been stuck on a older version of Windows 10, because I get error codes when I'm trying to update.  It tells me "Important security and quality fixes are missing on your device." I dont know how to fix it. It also gives me the error code "0x800f0988" when I try and install the update. 

Doesnt seem to work I got a bluescreen.

Windows update issues, especially on outdated versions of windows 10, are best solved doing a clean install. It's not only faster, but also less of a headache. The time spent trying to find a solution, seeing it fail and retry... is better spent doing a backup of your stuff, do a clean install of Win10 and putting back your data.
It is likely that you've used something in the past that messed up with the registry.
Be it some sort of "registry cleaning" software (ccleaner?), some "tuneup" software, or something to disable certain components of Windows 10, either through PowerShell or with some third party software.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Just now, mikeyw64 said:

what doesn't work ?

The alternative instructions you sent

2 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Windows update issues, especially on outdated versions of windows 10, are best solved doing a clean install. It's not only faster, but also less of a headache. The time spent trying to find a solution, seeing it fail and retry... is better spent doing a backup of your stuff, do a clean install of Win10 and putting back your data.
It is likely that you've used something in the past that messed up with the registry.
Be it some sort of "registry cleaning" software (ccleaner?), some "tuneup" software, or something to disable certain components of Windows 10, either through PowerShell or with some third party software.

Can older versiosn of windows 10, cause blue screens with the error code memory_management?. Cause daily I get two or three blue screens with exact that error message.

9 minutes ago, Daan1 said:

The alternative instructions you sent

if loading a Microsoft page causes a blue screen then you have problems

9 minutes ago, Daan1 said:

Can older versiosn of windows 10, cause blue screens with the error code memory_management?. Cause daily I get two or three blue screens with exact that error message.

It is possible that if the install is corrupted that it does that.
That said, it is also far more likely to be a hardware issue if it bluescreen daily.

If you have adequate cooling in your PC, I suggest running Prime95, on Blend (all of your available memory will be tested) for at least 30 minutes to an hour, see if it fails (open your side panel if possible)

https://www.mersenne.org/download/

If no issues is encountered with prime95, do run memtest86+ for at least 24 hours.

https://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Yes, it takes a long time to diagnose memory, no getting around it. 
If all comes clear, it could be something else, but it's better to start at the most common issue, which is the RAM.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

At the moment just trying to install the update manually.

2 minutes ago, Daan1 said:

At the moment just trying to install the update manually.

Manually also doesnt work...

• 1 month later...
On 5/5/2021 at 7:59 PM, mikeyw64 said:

personally I would back up any data to a secondary internal/external drive, create a brand new W10 USB installer and start from scratch.

Alternatively try the instructions at

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-0x800f0988/cddbd7c4-7bfa-4128-87d1-5712477faf4e

I gave up trying to fix it manually I reinstalled windows.

i've usually done a return to restore point, or uninstall last feature update to get things running again...