Testing GPU after thermal paste change

PampaZiya

So I've had my 2080Ti for almost 3 years now and for the past month it's been heating up a lot and ramping up the fans insanely loud and then go back to 0 and just repeating in cycle of up and down in fan speed and it's always at max temp.

It used to idle at like 40+c

So I decided to use change the thermal paste on it and perhaps that would help, it was suspiciously easy to open and the screws were straight forward to find and the thermal paste that was on there def was gone, like 90% wasn't even on anymore, it had barely any and it was dried up and dark a bit, so  I cleaned it up and changed the thermal paste

It now idles at like 33c instead and does still go up to 80 on full load but it never ramps up and down like it used to.

But I just felt like maybe i need to do more testing so am asking here whether anyone done this before and dealt with unsuspected behavior down the road or any problems and what's the best way to test

5 hours ago, PampaZiya said:

So I've had my 2080Ti for almost 3 years now and for the past month it's been heating up a lot and ramping up the fans insanely loud and then go back to 0 and just repeating in cycle of up and down in fan speed and it's always at max temp.

It used to idle at like 40+c

So I decided to use change the thermal paste on it and perhaps that would help, it was suspiciously easy to open and the screws were straight forward to find and the thermal paste that was on there def was gone, like 90% wasn't even on anymore, it had barely any and it was dried up and dark a bit, so  I cleaned it up and changed the thermal paste

It now idles at like 33c instead and does still go up to 80 on full load but it never ramps up and down like it used to.

But I just felt like maybe i need to do more testing so am asking here whether anyone done this before and dealt with unsuspected behavior down the road or any problems and what's the best way to test

Yes this is normal. Sometimes the paste used is just plain bad.. I always change paste when I get a new card. Almost always change the cooler too.. 🙂

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

On 5/5/2021 at 11:15 PM, DoctorNick said:

Yes this is normal. Sometimes the paste used is just plain bad.. I always change paste when I get a new card. Almost always change the cooler too.. 🙂

I am honestly so surprised, I should've done this before, my temps are soo good right now and the GPU is no longer spiking and dying every few seconds. I played a whole bunch of games from AAA to league of legends to dauntless etc. and not a single problem. From now on I'm going to change the thermal paste of any GPU i buy, literally takes 10mins and the results are so impressive.

2080Ti is still a very impressive card. I wish I had one. I had a chance to grab one at $650 last year before the 3080 launch. Now I completely regret not getting one. Still stuck on the 1080.

• CPU
    9900KS @ 5.0 avx offset 0/ cache 4.7/ @1.33v
  • Motherboard
    asus strix ROG z390-i
  • RAM
    8gb x2 G.skill ddr 4 3600 (OCed to 4000 17-19-19-39 @1.4v)
  • GPU
    Asus Strix OC RTX 3080 10GB  
  • Case
    Corsair 280x Crystal
  • Storage
    1tb Samsung SSD + 2x (512gb Samsung) SSD
  • PSU
    Seasonic GM 650 650Watt Gold (semi-modular)
  • Display(s)
    LG34gk950g
  • Cooling
    H115i platinum/ 2x NF-A14 (GPU intake)/ 2xNFA14 (H115i radiator exhaust fan) 2x Corsair ML PRO 140(front intake) / 1x NF-A8 (exhaust)/ 2 x Corsair LL 120 (GPU deshroud fans)
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K70 LUX MX RED/ Microsoft Designer Keyboard Bluetooth
  • Mouse
    Corsair Harpoon RGB
  • Sound
    Audioengine A2+/ Audioengine d1 dac/ B&O h6