Please help:How to config my new storage

berzerk7

I've already got my pc running on my 1TB hdd. I recently got a 500gb SSD. I need part of my SSD to act as cache and i dont know what to do. My main aim is gaming. Is caching a good idea since already all my games are installed into the hdd.

My build :

R5 3400G

1060 6gb

8GB 

B450M MB

SSD => Seagate BarraCuda 500GB m.2 NVMe 3D QLC

HDD => Seagate BarraCuda 1TB 6Gbps 7200rpm 64MB cache

2 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Install windows fresh on the SSD, and set the HDD to not boot.

everything will work waaay better then.  

I would also install the most demanding games to the SSD. Steam at least has functionality that lets you move the game to a new location without having to reinstall

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

13 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Install windows fresh on the SSD, and set the HDD to not boot.

everything will work waaay better then.  

is there anyway other than freshly installing windows?

2 minutes ago, berzerk7 said:

is there anyway other than freshly installing windows?

Why not reinstall windows?  That's a good thing to do occasionally.

1 minute ago, tkitch said:

Why not reinstall windows?  That's a good thing to do occasionally.

its a pain to reinstall every software again as ive already gone through that process once and not too fond of it.........hence im thinking of running my os on hdd and using PART of the SSD to cache. But i dont know what i should do to run part of my ssd as Cache

Just now, berzerk7 said:

its a pain to reinstall every software again as ive already gone through that process once and not too fond of it.........hence im thinking of running my os on hdd and using PART of the SSD to cache. But i dont know what i should do to run part of my ssd as Cache

Your computer probably doesn't do much with cache.  Moving it to an SSD won't change all that much for performance.  

5 minutes ago, berzerk7 said:

There are cloning software that can move the OS for you. I dont remember if the one I used let you exclude something from the clone operation or if it have to take everything on the OS partition. Do you haver everything on one partition on the HDD ore do you have several?

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

19 minutes ago, Tegneren said:

There are cloning software that can move the OS for you. I dont remember if the one I used let you exclude something from the clone operation or if it have to take everything on the OS partition. Do you haver everything on one partition on the HDD ore do you have several?

several though.

So the only best way to utilise this for better gaming experience is to either freshly install windows into the ssd?Im quite content with the boot time of my system even though its on a hdd.

Or should i just relocate my frequently played games to the ssd. Which solution is better and hazzle free?

3 minutes ago, berzerk7 said:

several though.

So the only best way to utilise this for better gaming experience is to either freshly install windows into the ssd?Im quite content with the boot time of my system even though its on a hdd.

Or should i just relocate my frequently played games to the ssd. Which solution is better and hazzle free?

Boot time isn't the only thing you gain from having the OS on a SSD. Every small task will be more snappy because the HDD isn't bogged down by all the small reads and writes that's constantly going on in the background.

The hazzle free solution will be to just move the games to the SSD, but that is a bad solution imo, and a waste of a good SSD.

What is the size of the partition where you have Windows on the HDD?

If its less than the SSD it should be relatively easy to clone it to the SSD.

But I still will recommend a fresh widows install. Cloning means you keep all the crap windows has collected since last install.

42 minutes ago, Tegneren said:

Boot time isn't the only thing you gain from having the OS on a SSD. Every small task will be more snappy because the HDD isn't bogged down by all the small reads and writes that's constantly going on in the background.

The hazzle free solution will be to just move the games to the SSD, but that is a bad solution imo, and a waste of a good SSD.

What is the size of the partition where you have Windows on the HDD?

If its less than the SSD it should be relatively easy to clone it to the SSD.

But I still will recommend a fresh widows install. Cloning means you keep all the crap windows has collected since last install.

so how do i clone my parition to ssd.......do i use another software or jst ctrl C it 😄

17 hours ago, berzerk7 said:

so how do i clone my parition to ssd.......do i use another software or jst ctrl C it 😄

No, you need to use a cloning software like https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree. Some SSDs include cloningsoftware, at least my Samsung M.2 SSD did.

well thank you everyone. I cloned my os to my ssd. Not only is the boot time fast but also the game loading time is fast(games on hdd).

my ssd did not have a cloningsoftware.......i used macrium and this video as a guide to clone