Can you put ssd or hdd with things on them in to a new build?

meanybeany61
Go to solution Solved by CommanderAlex,
Just now, meanybeany61 said:

so, just asking because I haven't installed windows on a pc ever, if I reinstall windows i wont need a new key, right?

No, usually the key is assigned to the motherboard at a hardware level, so that Microsoft's servers authenticate the product key is assigned to the motherboard the product key was activated on. Also, you might be able to see it on a Microsoft account if you used that when activating Windows for the first time on a new motherboard. 

So I am building a new pc and don't want to get a new SSD or hard drive for the c drive. Can i put an SSD with stuff on it, into the new build?

3 minutes ago, meanybeany61 said:

So I am building a new pc and don't want to get a new SSD or hard drive for the c drive. Can i put an SSD with stuff on it, into the new build?

I mean if it has windows on then sure but if it doesnt then get the things off it then format it and reinstall windows on it

Welcome to the forums!!!

Sure you can reuse an SSD from a previous build, but just know that you may encounter issues related to drivers from your previous build on the new build. Personally would recommend formatting the SSD and reinstalling Windows on it, but back up any sensitive/essential data before formatting. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

10 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

Welcome to the forums!!!

Sure you can reuse an SSD from a previous build, but just know that you may encounter issues related to drivers from your previous build on the new build. Personally would recommend formatting the SSD and reinstalling Windows on it, but back up any sensitive/essential data before formatting. 

so, just asking because I haven't installed windows on a pc ever, if I reinstall windows i wont need a new key, right?

Just now, meanybeany61 said:

No, usually the key is assigned to the motherboard at a hardware level, so that Microsoft's servers authenticate the product key is assigned to the motherboard the product key was activated on. Also, you might be able to see it on a Microsoft account if you used that when activating Windows for the first time on a new motherboard. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34"