how big is the jump to 32gb or 64gb for after effects?

im on an i7 5820K 6 core not overclocked, 16gb ram. all storage SSD. im maxing out ram in all projects and previews are very slow. I am trying to decide between upgrading to 32gb or 64gb. 64gb is slightly cheaper than getting 32 now and another 32 in the future.. anyone here upgraded from 16 to 32 GB and thought it was enough ram? or is it never enough ram with After Effects lol more is always better? did you feel like 32GB 64GB made previews play much smoother? i am guessing it would since right now ram is definitely my bottle neck

CPU: Intel 5820K OC 4GHZ | RAM: 16GB Corsair | GPU: ASUS STRIX 1070 8GB OC | Samsung EVO 980 500GB

With a decent sratch drive even for big projects 32gb is usually plenty. You'll run into cpu limits far before the 64gb becomes a problem.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

With a decent sratch drive even for big projects 32gb is usually plenty. You'll run into cpu limits far before the 64gb becomes a problem.

even when i try quarter preview with frame skip i wish it was faster. some projects with heavy 3d are going like 1 frame every 3-4 seconds even at quarter preview with frame skip. my ram shows 15.5gb/16gb used. and cpu only 40% used. once it finishes through i can play smoothly but i make one tiny change or tweak which is often, then now its slow again. thats why i need to upgrade

CPU: Intel 5820K OC 4GHZ | RAM: 16GB Corsair | GPU: ASUS STRIX 1070 8GB OC | Samsung EVO 980 500GB

6 minutes ago, kofman13 said:

even when i try quarter preview with frame skip i wish it was faster. some projects with heavy 3d are going like 1 frame every 3-4 seconds even at quarter preview with frame skip. my ram shows 15.5gb/16gb used. and cpu only 40% used. once it finishes through i can play smoothly but i make one tiny change or tweak which is often, then now its slow again. thats why i need to upgrade

Yeah so go for 32gb.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Yeah so go for 32gb.

yeah probably good idea, then i can gauge if i need to upgrade again to 64 or not.  now im wondering what kit configuration to get.

my mobo has 8 ram slots, currently i have 16gb/4x4GB. i want to go to 32GB (maybe 64 gb one day if need be for after effects). 

Option 1: get 4 more of the same sticks to bring me up to 32GB, but ill be using 8 sticks, is that or better or worse than 4 sticks?  i also wont have slots to go higher than 32 GB then one day so this is cheaper short term but more expensive long term.

Option 2: get a 2x16GB kit. saves slots for another set one day to bring me to 64GB. BUT i would be using 2 sticks instead of 4.

Basically, is running 8 sticks worse than 4? would 4 sticks 32GB be different than 2 sticks 32 GB?