Gaming downstairs

shoutingsteve

I would like to use tho power of my desktop (second floor) to play games on my large TV downstairs.  Both have access to wired LAN, and I expect I would be using that for the back and forth.  I'm sure others have done this,  All I really need is mouse and keyboard to transmit from my living room to upstairs and video+audio to transmit from upstairs to my livingroom.

It must be true, I read it on the internet...

Steam link app or if your tv doesn't have that any device that can run it really.

There are solutions that provide KVM over LAN, but they are expensive. Steam link, as @jaslion recommends, would work if you're playing Steam games. (Note that you can add just about any game to Steam, though I don't know how well they'd be supported by Steam Link.)

For a little money but more work, you could probably run a high-quality active (active cables have repeaters built-in that boost the signal to overcome cable length limitations) USB-3.2 cable alongside the existing ethernet, then put a hub behind the TV to provide KVM over USB. (Not sure how much configuration that would take to have your GPU output over USB instead of its own ports, though. If you have problems, you could run an HDMI cable with it, too.)