Future Proofing and Upgrades Overtime of Personal Build

Budget (including currency): ~$600 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):

I purchased a used prebuilt from CyberPower in 2018 and have slowly upgraded it over time to a custom build. I play at 1440p/144Hz and play a wide array of games, some more CPU intensive like Rust and R6. Some more GPU intensive like Squad, HLL, and Warzone. Disregarding the old parts, I have upgraded the various components thus far:

-GPU: Nvidia 3080 FE

-PSU: Corsair 850 Gold

-AIO: NZXT Kraken X63

-RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz DOCP/XMP

-CASE: Lian Li Lancool Performane Mesh

-STORAGE: Sabrent Rocket 2TB NVME M.2 

My question comes in here, I want a CPU that will compliment my GPU and will not bottleneck. My current CPU is an I7-8700k delidded OC 5.0GHZ 1.35V. This is where I have found it somewhat stable where it won’t blue screen. My problem is that my motherboard is a rebranded one from CyberPower z370 Sli/Xtreme, an AsRock rebranding I believe, but this motherboard is very cheap quality and has not done well for the CPU OC and continues to have spikes in voltage and VRM cooling issues. I understand I don’t need to OC but the reliability of the MOBO is in question and I want to go ahead and upgrade the motherboard. That being said if I’m going to spend $150 or so on a 3 generation old motherboard I’d rather just upgrade to meet the requirements of a 3080 and bring my system around to being fully updated. 

My thoughts were the I9-10850k as the price to performance is phenomenal and MSI A Pro z490 or z590.

I am open to other CPU recommendation as well as motherboard recommendations. Since I have 3600mhz RAM would I may be better served on a Zen chip which can use RAM clocked that high. 

I am also very curious on the z490 vs z590 debate regarding 10th intel processors. 

Lastly, I would wait for Zen 4/5 or Alder Lake but with rumors of cancellation, pushbacks, and the ongoing Silicon Shortage. I think I’m in a good place to go ahead and upgrade now. 

41 minutes ago, wco96 said:

My thoughts were the I9-10850k as the price to performance is phenomenal and MSI A Pro z490 or z590.

This is a pretty good combo, a 10850k +  z490 a pro.

Ryzen 5000 might have a bit more single core performance and would be useful if you had a 240hz+ monitor where the cpu becomes a bottleneck, but the 10850k has 2 more cores for nearly $75 less.

1 hour ago, curiousmind34 said:

This is a pretty good combo, a 10850k +  z490 a pro.

Ryzen 5000 might have a bit more single core performance and would be useful if you had a 240hz+ monitor where the cpu becomes a bottleneck, but the 10850k has 2 more cores for nearly $75 less.

Thank y’all for the responses. I built my roommate a 3070 with 10850k and MSI pro z490 and he gets on par performance if not better due to the lackluster mobo and cpu, it’s  just worn out at this point.