New GPU under $500

TrainFan475

My friend is looking for a gpu and he asked me about it. He said he has $500 to spend on it, and he does not want to buy it used. What's the best thing you can get new for this price right now? i know all the gpu prices are high and crap

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

GTX 1660 Super

Not much can be found at the moment.   If he's near a Microcenter, he should go as often as he can and will need a little luck.

1 minute ago, FLAT EARTH said:

GTX 1660 Super

Oh god. Those are really 500 now? This is terrible. 

Please, if he have any option of waiting or getting a prebuilt, please tell him to do so. Especially the fact that it has to be new just makes it impossible to get anything that is not twice the price it should be.

8 minutes ago, TrainFan90 said:

What's the best thing you can get new for this price right now?

A cardboard printout of RTX 3090. Thats my plan.

Its nearly impossible to get ANYTHING competitive right now at 500$, beyond last gen stuff. If he lives near best buy or microcenter, he should run to get a reserved slot for a 3060Ti. Or maybe tell him to watch LTT and wait for linus to drop 3070 again in the VAG Program

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

30 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Or maybe tell him to watch LTT and wait for linus to drop 3070 again in the VAG Program

The 3070's Linus dropped in VAG were $650. 

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

34 minutes ago, curiousmind34 said:

Oh god. Those are really 500 now? This is terrible. 

Please, if he have any option of waiting or getting a prebuilt, please tell him to do so. Especially the fact that it has to be new just makes it impossible to get anything that is not twice the price it should be.

No, I bought one in February for MSRP.  There isn't anything else out there at MSRP unless you get lucky with a bot drop, or hit a Microcenter at 5am and wait 5 hours in a line assuming that store is sharing when they are dropping new cards to anyone other than their employees friends / family. The market is screwed.  Anything 3000 series is next to impossible to find and even cards like the 1660 Super are few and far between. 

4 minutes ago, Random_Person1234 said:

The 3070's Linus dropped in VAG were $650. 

Yeah i remember that, it was the TUF one thats at 100-150$ markup from FE MSRP iirc

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

An RTX 3070/3060 Ti FE if you can catch a Best Buy drop.

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

I got my 6700 XT from amd.com for $512 with tax and shipping. 

Anyone telling you to try BB for a 3060 or 3070 is nuts, I tried for months and didn't get one. Got a 6700 on my third try. 

1 hour ago, docarter said:

I got my 6700 XT from amd.com for $512 with tax and shipping. 

Anyone telling you to try BB for a 3060 or 3070 is nuts, I tried for months and didn't get one. Got a 6700 on my third try. 

I got a 3090FE from BB on my first try.

7 minutes ago, DobertRownySr said:

I got a 3090FE from BB on my first try.

And one fell out of the sky into my lap. 

Doesn't change the availability or ease or purchase situation.