PC Parts Help!

Just now, Downkey said:

Samsung drives are rarely worth the price. A 970 evo is $150. You can buy a decent Gen 4 drive for that price. 

That's why I made note of sales. Their drives have gone on sale for huge discounts pretty recently and I've picked a few up on that condition. Generally, you're right they're way over market cost for similar tech.

I see it as paying a little more for reliability and speed if you can find them at the right price. Obviously I'd recommend doing the research and waiting for some sales to get best bang-for-the-buck.

PC Interest - Thriving | Wallet Status - Near Empty

Ryzen 9 5900X, ASUS TUF RTX 4080

Corsair Vengeance LPX (2 x 16GB) 3600MHz, ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero

2 minutes ago, ajaxburger said:

Gen 4 is huge, if your motherboard supports it. Additionally, heat sinks are cheap enough to buy aftermarket or the motherboards often come with them as part of the chipset cooler. Ultimately your choice but just something to keep in mind.

Do you know if samsung sells heatsinks for the m.2's separately? 

Just now, Christian.ds said:

Do you know if samsung sells heatsinks for the m.2's separately? 

Not that I'm aware of. M.2 is standardized so you can pick up a third-party one and in theory it should work anyway. From using them, they're all pretty much the same; a block of copper or aluminum with a massive thermal pad on the bottom.

PC Interest - Thriving | Wallet Status - Near Empty

Ryzen 9 5900X, ASUS TUF RTX 4080

Corsair Vengeance LPX (2 x 16GB) 3600MHz, ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero

3 minutes ago, ajaxburger said:

That's why I made note of sales. Their drives have gone on sale for huge discounts pretty recently and I've picked a few up on that condition. Generally, you're right they're way over market cost for similar tech.

I see it as paying a little more for reliability and speed if you can find them at the right price. Obviously I'd recommend doing the research and waiting for some sales to get best bang-for-the-buck.

I mean they're rated for the same speeds so I guess with the right cooling they should run around the same speeds and since it's gen 4 I doubt I'll even be noticing a big difference in performance anyways. 

2 minutes ago, ajaxburger said:

Not that I'm aware of. M.2 is standardized so you can pick up a third-party one and in theory it should work anyway. From using them, they're all pretty much the same; a block of copper or aluminum with a massive thermal pad on the bottom.

Ya okay that might work, but I don't really know if they're really be much of a difference in performance. 

1 hour ago, Christian.ds said:

Alright ya I wasn't sure, because from what I've seen on reddit most people are using a 3060ti - 3070 for 1440p so I didn't think I really needed it but I mean I guess it could be good to have. Ya I found one from cooler master so I might just cop that instead. Ya I picked the sn750 cause its a bit faster and I'm planning on keeping this pc for a while (hence why I'm spending so much on it) so that way even if it degrades it'll still be plenty fast. 

of course that "you dont need it" but in few years those rtx3060 people you mentioned will suffer as graphics advance.