'unreliable CPU thermal sensor'

da na
Go to solution Solved by Bombastinator,
29 minutes ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

Upon installing of Ubuntu, it says my CPU temp sensor is unreliable - do I just ignore this and keep going? CPU seems just fine, and the heatsink isn't very hot to the touch. and monitoring the temp in the bios returns a reasonable temperature of 41c-50c.

(I bought a MOBO that included some ram and this Phenom CPU for like $15 on ebay, claimed to be fully working. However this is ebay, you never know.) 

Your question seems to be “does this claim of an unreliable sensor signify a deeper problem?”  Might need specifics for that one.

With a price that low it may depend on what you are doing with it.  It’s not a sensor who’s behavior I would necessarily trust which could affect its behavior with failsafes that read it. Perhaps best not to push it very hard.

Upon installing of Ubuntu, it says my CPU temp sensor is unreliable - do I just ignore this and keep going? CPU seems just fine, and the heatsink isn't very hot to the touch. and monitoring the temp in the bios returns a reasonable temperature of 41c-50c.

(I bought a MOBO that included some ram and this Phenom CPU for like $15 on ebay, claimed to be fully working. However this is ebay, you never know.) 

29 minutes ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

Your question seems to be “does this claim of an unreliable sensor signify a deeper problem?”  Might need specifics for that one.

With a price that low it may depend on what you are doing with it.  It’s not a sensor who’s behavior I would necessarily trust which could affect its behavior with failsafes that read it. Perhaps best not to push it very hard.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 hours ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

A Phenom is a Phenom.
Not even the chinese can fake that.
You would have to do a thermal test to find its limits.