A weird question about mixing RAM (yes folks, we are doing it again!)

Go to solution Solved by Wyzzy Moon,

You would have 32GB in dual channel (2x 16) and 8GB single channel and 16GB single channel.

Edit: if it even works like that, it might just be that they will all run in single channel.
A single DIMM cannot be running in dual channel because dualchannel needs 2 sticks

Hello, I have a very unorthodox situation.
I got my hands on a 16gb and 8gb 2933mhz cl19 sticks of RAM (same brand too).
I put these in my rig, and now I have 16gb running in double channel and 8gb in single channel. FlexRAM really helped me on that one.

I now want to upgrade my system with 2 more sticks of 16gb 2933mhz cl19 sticks of RAM, identical to the first 16gb one.
If I were to put these in, would I have 48 gb running in double channel and 8gb in single channel, or 32gb of RAM running in double channel and 24gb in single channel?

I don't want to throw out my old sticks, and finding another single 16gb stick costs almost as much as just buying a kit of 2x16.

<-- Moved to CPUs, Motherboards, and Memory -->

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

You would have 32GB in dual channel (2x 16) and 8GB single channel and 16GB single channel.

Edit: if it even works like that, it might just be that they will all run in single channel.
A single DIMM cannot be running in dual channel because dualchannel needs 2 sticks

I make Rainmeter things and other art :D

Just now, Wyzzy Moon said:

You would have 32GB in dual channel (2x 16) and 8GB single channel and 16GB single channel

so I would be looking at decreased CPU performance once my RAM usage exceeds 32gb? That's too bad.

In that case should I look at something with better CAS latency and just try to sell off the current sticks and go for cl18 or cl16?
Im using a 10th gen i7, so Im not sure how much use I can get out of improved latency.

4 minutes ago, RoQe said:

so I would be looking at decreased CPU performance once my RAM usage exceeds 32gb? That's too bad.

In that case should I look at something with better CAS latency and just try to sell off the current sticks and go for cl18 or cl16?
Im using a 10th gen i7, so Im not sure how much use I can get out of improved latency.

I don't know what you do with your system but 32 is a lot of ram. If you don't think you'll exceed it, just go for 2x16 in dual channel.
If you think you really need 56GB of RAM, just throw it all in. Single channel is a bit slower but by far not as bad as having to little ram

I make Rainmeter things and other art :D

1 minute ago, Wyzzy Moon said:

I don't know what you do with your system but 32 is a lot of ram. If you don't think you'll exceed it, just go for 2x16 in dual channel.
If you think you really need 56GB of RAM, just throw it all in. Single channel is a bit slower but by far not as bad as having to little ram

Depending on what I do with it right now, it maxes out the 24 gigs of RAM quite quickly. That is even with quite a few background tasks closed (not minimized).
I do want to keep my system future proof, but I also want to upgrade its performance a little bit.
So Id rather clear out the bottleneck. I do feel you on that 56gb might be too much, but Im worried 32gb will still be a bottleneck... maybe 3x8 and 1x16gb would be a good option? 

Which options do you recommend?
1. Swapping from corsair 24gb cl19 2933mhz to 32gb (2x16) cl16 2666mhz and selling the old sticks
2. Add more of the same, get either 56gb or 40gb of RAM with the current CL19 2933mhz spec (adding either a 32gb or 16gb kit)

3 minutes ago, RoQe said:

Depending on what I do with it right now, it maxes out the 24 gigs of RAM quite quickly. That is even with quite a few background tasks closed (not minimized).
I do want to keep my system future proof, but I also want to upgrade its performance a little bit.
So Id rather clear out the bottleneck. I do feel you on that 56gb might be too much, but Im worried 32gb will still be a bottleneck... maybe 3x8 and 1x16gb would be a good option? 

Which options do you recommend?
1. Swapping from corsair 24gb cl19 2933mhz to 32gb (2x16) cl16 2666mhz and selling the old sticks
2. Add more of the same, get either 56gb or 40gb of RAM with the current CL19 2933mhz spec (adding either a 32gb or 16gb kit)

If you have all the RAM sticks, you might test them. Most stores have a return policy

1 minute ago, Zongohihello said:

If you have all the RAM sticks, you might test them. Most stores have a return policy

I would, but that would be a good 600 euros right now, if I were to add all those options to a cart. Yes, RAM prices are skyrocketing and Id rather not sit without a decent setup for the next 3 years.
Id rather get some insight in what difference it might make, and make a decision based on that.