GPU temps question

Darkburai

Greetings,

I have an MSI 3090 Suprim X, and I have a i9 10900K, and during a 2.5 hour gaming session at 2K high settings in a demanding game, MSI afterburner showed me that the max temp that was hit reached 87 C at a certain moment.

is that fine?

note that my case is a Lian Li 011 Dynamic.

(might be a newbie question, but this is my first PC).

thank you!

Is that temp on the GPU or CPU, you listed both. Either way that isn't great and you probably need more airflow. What cooling are you using on your CPU, also how many, which direction and where are your case fans?

Just now, RegulatorRWF said:

Is that temp on the GPU or CPU, you listed both. Either way that isn't great and you probably need more airflow. What cooling are you using on your CPU, also how many, which direction and where are your case fans?

That is on my GPU..

My CPU also reached similar temps, my CPU cooler is a Lian Li Galahad (360)... I have 9 fans in the PC, which were placed according to the picture attached.

A note: the temperature at where I live was around 40 degrees today.

thanks!

B9139DD3-BE23-414A-BF0A-DB8CD2E1D8E2.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Darkburai said:

That is on my GPU..

My CPU also reached similar temps, my CPU cooler is a Lian Li Galahad (360)... I have 9 fans in the PC, which were placed according to the picture attached.

A note: the temperature at where I live was around 40 degrees today.

thanks!

B9139DD3-BE23-414A-BF0A-DB8CD2E1D8E2.jpeg

Celsius or Fahrenheit. Turn on your AC when your using your pc and also how da fuc u find a 3090   

Alright, fair warning I'm not a thermo-engineer, I think you could get improved temps with a switch to your fan layout. What I think I'm seeing, and correct me if I'm wrong, is three fans blowing up directly into the fans trying to push air out of the GPU. I also think you have 6 fans blowing out, one set through the RAD and the other three upright. I would turn those three (the vertical ones) to be blowing air into the case, turn the three on bottom into exhausts for the GPU air, and keep the top the same. Alternatively, you could take the three from the bottom and put them into 2 intakes on the front (if it has mounts and airflow) and one as an exhaust at the back.

Let me know if I got the fan directions rights and if that makes sense.

2 minutes ago, Dk SPYder said:

Celsius or Fahrenheit. Turn on your AC when your using your pc and also how da fuc u find a 3090   

Celsius!

I’m currently set up in a room without any AC right now until July...

Got lucky fortunately!

2 minutes ago, RegulatorRWF said:

Alright, fair warning I'm not a thermo-engineer, I think you could get improved temps with a switch to your fan layout. What I think I'm seeing, and correct me if I'm wrong, is three fans blowing up directly into the fans trying to push air out of the GPU. I also think you have 6 fans blowing out, one set through the RAD and the other three upright. I would turn those three (the vertical ones) to be blowing air into the case, turn the three on bottom into exhausts for the GPU air, and keep the top the same. Alternatively, you could take the three from the bottom and put them into 2 intakes on the front (if it has mounts and airflow) and one as an exhaust at the back.

Let me know if I got the fan directions rights and if that makes sense.

As I noticed (since the shop set up the build for me) the bottom fans are pushing air out (in synergy with the GPU fans), the vertical ones are pushing air into the PC, and the top fans push the air out of the PC...

Just now, Darkburai said:

As I noticed (since the shop set up the build for me) the bottom fans are pushing air out (in synergy with the GPU fans), the vertical ones are pushing air into the PC, and the top fans push the air out of the PC...

Dang, that should be pretty solid. Sorry, hopefully someone smarted comes to help you out.

Just now, RegulatorRWF said:

Dang, that should be pretty solid. Sorry, hopefully someone smarted comes to help you out.

Thank you so much for your help! I just want to make sure. (It didn’t run at the high temp all of the time, but it did spike up to that temp), so I wanted to make sure. Since it is brand new and I would like to do whats best!

I appreciate your kindness.

2 minutes ago, Darkburai said:

Thank you so much for your help! I just want to make sure. (It didn’t run at the high temp all of the time, but it did spike up to that temp), so I wanted to make sure. Since it is brand new and I would like to do whats best!

I appreciate your kindness.

The only other thing I could think of is trying to increase your fan curves so they ramp up sooner to keep your temps down.

1 minute ago, RegulatorRWF said:

The only other thing I could think of is trying to increase your fan curves so they ramp up sooner to keep your temps down.

And is that done through MSI afterburner?

1 minute ago, Darkburai said:

And is that done through MSI afterburner?

It should be possible for your GPU fans, case fans are probably controlled through your BIOS.

10 hours ago, Darkburai said:

I believe @RegulatorRWF is correct in your fan layout.  The bottom three fans are pulling air into the case while the three vertical and the three rad fans are all pushing air out of the case. You might not want to flip the bottom three fans and keep them as intake.  The GPU's fans blow air into the heatsink towards the backplate.  Flipping the fans might cause the bottom case fans and the GPU to compete.  Keeping them as intake feeds fresh air straight into the GPU fans.  Currently you probably have a negative air pressure setup in the case which shouldn't be a problem as long as your bottom fans remain unobstructed to at least feed some new air to the GPU.  I don't know what kind of heat the GPU creates so the vertical fans as exhaust might actually be a good idea. But if there is anything that could be changed it would be the three vertical fans.  Flipping them around to push fresh air into the case for the radiator.