DuelBooting?

Zacer
Go to solution Solved by OrangeSunshine,

Yep! Im doing it right now on both my laptops. The mint installer comes with the grub boot manager, and you just have to select which OS you want at startup. I haven't had a data loss problelm in years. Just back up your stuff if you are worried. 

Hey,

So I am aware duel booting isnt safe in terms of loosing important data however I want to duel boot linux mint and windows 10 safely so i can keep them both without loosing data. Is there any possible way I can do that?

I wasnt sure if this would help however i can install both operating systems on different hard drives.

Yep! Im doing it right now on both my laptops. The mint installer comes with the grub boot manager, and you just have to select which OS you want at startup. I haven't had a data loss problelm in years. Just back up your stuff if you are worried. 

3 minutes ago, OrangeSunshine said:

Yep! Im doing it right now on both my laptops. The mint installer comes with the grub boot mamager, and you just have to select which OS you want at startup. I haven't had a data loss problelm in years. Just back up your stuff if you are worried. 

What version of Linux are you using?

15 hours ago, Zacer said:

What version of Linux are you using?

Linux mint 20.1. Also, it may be worth mentioning that there is a program called gparted in the mint installer that allows you to adjust drive partition sizes. That is how I am running it on my laptops with 1 drive, so you should be good on that front too.

7 minutes ago, OrangeSunshine said:

Linux mint 20.1. Also, it may be worth mentioning that there is a program called gparted in the mint installer that allows you to sjust drive partition sizes. That is how I am running it on my laptops with 1 drive, so you should be good on that front too.

Ok thanks mate.

8 minutes ago, OrangeSunshine said:

Linux mint 20.1. Also, it may be worth mentioning that there is a program called gparted in the mint installer that allows you to sjust drive partition sizes. That is how I am running it on my laptops with 1 drive, so you should be good on that front too.

Sorry what version? Cinnamon? 

4 minutes ago, Zacer said:

Sorry what version? Cinnamon? 

That is the desktop environment I like, yea. Is this your first foray into linux by chance?

1 minute ago, OrangeSunshine said:

That is the desktop environment I like, yea. Is this your first foray into linux by chance?

Well im pretty new to it so im trying to figure out a way to do things safely

1 minute ago, Zacer said:

Well im pretty new to it so im trying to figure out a way to do things safely

The installer is about as beginner friendly as you can get, and I genuinely think that it is less tedious to install mint than windows. However, I'd recommend watching a video on the installation process just to know what is coming and make decisions about what drives you want mint on. 

Here is a pretty good review and install of mint. He runs it in a VM, so the actual installation process begins at about 8 min in.

1 hour ago, OrangeSunshine said:

The installer is about as beginner friendly as you can get, and I genuinely think that it is less tedious to install mint than windows. However, I'd recommend watching a video on the installation process just to know what is coming and make decisions about what drives you want mint on. 

Here is a pretty good review and install of mint. He runs it in a VM, so the actual installation process begins at about 8 min in.

Ok thank you