Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DuelBooting?

Go to solution Solved by OrangeSunshine,

Yep! Im doing it right now on both my laptops. The mint installer comes with the grub boot manager, and you just have to select which OS you want at startup. I haven't had a data loss problelm in years. Just back up your stuff if you are worried. 

Hey,

So I am aware duel booting isnt safe in terms of loosing important data however I want to duel boot linux mint and windows 10 safely so i can keep them both without loosing data. Is there any possible way I can do that?

I wasnt sure if this would help however i can install both operating systems on different hard drives.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep! Im doing it right now on both my laptops. The mint installer comes with the grub boot manager, and you just have to select which OS you want at startup. I haven't had a data loss problelm in years. Just back up your stuff if you are worried. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, OrangeSunshine said:

Yep! Im doing it right now on both my laptops. The mint installer comes with the grub boot mamager, and you just have to select which OS you want at startup. I haven't had a data loss problelm in years. Just back up your stuff if you are worried. 

What version of Linux are you using?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Zacer said:

What version of Linux are you using?

 

Linux mint 20.1. Also, it may be worth mentioning that there is a program called gparted in the mint installer that allows you to adjust drive partition sizes. That is how I am running it on my laptops with 1 drive, so you should be good on that front too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, OrangeSunshine said:

Linux mint 20.1. Also, it may be worth mentioning that there is a program called gparted in the mint installer that allows you to sjust drive partition sizes. That is how I am running it on my laptops with 1 drive, so you should be good on that front too.

Ok thanks mate.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, OrangeSunshine said:

Linux mint 20.1. Also, it may be worth mentioning that there is a program called gparted in the mint installer that allows you to sjust drive partition sizes. That is how I am running it on my laptops with 1 drive, so you should be good on that front too.

Sorry what version? Cinnamon? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Zacer said:

Sorry what version? Cinnamon? 

That is the desktop environment I like, yea. Is this your first foray into linux by chance?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, OrangeSunshine said:

That is the desktop environment I like, yea. Is this your first foray into linux by chance?

Well im pretty new to it so im trying to figure out a way to do things safely

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Zacer said:

Well im pretty new to it so im trying to figure out a way to do things safely

 

The installer is about as beginner friendly as you can get, and I genuinely think that it is less tedious to install mint than windows. However, I'd recommend watching a video on the installation process just to know what is coming and make decisions about what drives you want mint on. 

Here is a pretty good review and install of mint. He runs it in a VM, so the actual installation process begins at about 8 min in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OrangeSunshine said:

The installer is about as beginner friendly as you can get, and I genuinely think that it is less tedious to install mint than windows. However, I'd recommend watching a video on the installation process just to know what is coming and make decisions about what drives you want mint on. 

Here is a pretty good review and install of mint. He runs it in a VM, so the actual installation process begins at about 8 min in.

Ok thank you

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×