First Gaming PC Upgrade.

Go to solution Solved by Chris Pratt,
4 hours ago, Luke10035557 said:

Though about going liquid cooling on cpu for now.

Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

What would you recommend?

Air cooling performs better than AIOs on all but the highest end CPUs, and even better than some 280mm rads, depending upon the air cooler. You can go for an AIO here, but it offers no real benefit and costs more.

I've not had my gaming PC in over 5 years due to living circumstances but now have a house and am getting up a games room. First is to upgrade my PC.

I dont play AAA titles at the moment and am enjoying Minecraft, Terraria, Fate and other old/oldish games which I feel I've missed out on.

Im currently using a Intel 17-4770 CPU with standard stock cooler, Asrock h81 BTC r2.0 motherboard (dappled a little with cryto mining but didnt have time to monitor it), 8GBx2 ddr3 ram sticks (unsure on brand), Radeon Sapphire Vega 64 GPU, Corsair h1000i power supply in a Lian Li Dynamic Razer case with 9 corsair icue rgb fans 6 intake 3 exhaust.

Looking to upgrade motherboard, cpu and ram. was debating MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 motherboard, AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor with AMD Wraith Stealth cooler and Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory.

EDIT* After advice on the stock cooler by AMD have decided on Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler as i would like to do down the water cooling route later on. Keeping aesthetics and RGB in mind would anyone have a better recommendation on pricing or performance?

Anyone have any recommendations or advice on this?

Edited by Luke10035557
Update

2 minutes ago, Luke10035557 said:

I've not had my gaming PC in over 5 years due to living circumstances but now have a house and am getting up a games room. First is to upgrade my PC.

I dont play AAA titles at the moment and am enjoying Minecraft, Terraria, Fate and other old/oldish games which I feel I've missed out on.

Im currently using a Intel 17-4770 CPU with standard stock cooler, Asrock h81 BTC r2.0 motherboard (dappled a little with cryto mining but didnt have time to monitor it), 8GBx2 ddr3 ram sticks (unsure on brand), Radeon Sapphire Vega 64 GPU, Corsair h1000i power supply in a Lian Li Dynamic Razer case with 9 corsair icue rgb fans 6 intake 3 exhaust.

Looking to upgrade motherboard, cpu and ram. was debating MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 motherboard, AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor with AMD Wraith Stealth cooler and Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory.

Yeah this seems like a decent upgrade.

Attention is what makes life meaningful.

Also, please quote me for a reply. 🙂

5 minutes ago, Luke10035557 said:

What country are you in? What is your budget?

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

That sound amazing. For the type of games that u say u play it's awsome. 

That's a sound upgrade plan. Ditch the stock cooler, though.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

You don’t need to upgrade.

Everything you listed there and then some will run great on a haswell i7 and Vega 64. You’d be upgrading for the sake of upgrading and nothing more.

7 hours ago, Downkey said:

What country are you in? What is your budget?

Live in UK and not really set on budget just don't want to be paying a fortune on things I might not need. Chose the motherboard as it supports all the case sockets, cpu as I would like to get into ryzen and get an upgrade from a cpu I've had for about 6ish years, and ram for ddr4 and obviously pretty rgb

6 hours ago, Chris Pratt said:

That's a sound upgrade plan. Ditch the stock cooler, though.

Ditch the one that comes with the ryzen or the one I'm currently using?

1 hour ago, Luke10035557 said:

Ditch the one that comes with the ryzen or the one I'm currently using?

The stock cooler on the 3600. It's not a great cooler, and can't keep up with the 3600. Get a decent single tower cooler.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

lol is 200 green ones good for a r9 390 8gb?

-> Moved to New Builds and Planning

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 4/19/2021 at 10:46 PM, Chris Pratt said:

The stock cooler on the 3600. It's not a great cooler, and can't keep up with the 3600. Get a decent single tower cooler.

360 aio will be an overkill for 3600, you dont need that big of a cooler

CPU: i5-4590 | CPU Cooler: SPC Spartan LT HE922 | MOBO: ASRock H87 Fatal1ty | GPU: Gigabyte R9 280 3GB | RAM: 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix 1600Mhz | SSD: MX500 1TB | Case: SPC Armis AR7X | PSU: XFX TS550W | Custom Cables: Phanteks Extension Kit (White)

4 hours ago, Luke10035557 said:

Air cooling performs better than AIOs on all but the highest end CPUs, and even better than some 280mm rads, depending upon the air cooler. You can go for an AIO here, but it offers no real benefit and costs more.

10 hours ago, Chris Pratt said:

So sticking with the single tower cooler like you suggested have checked on pcpartpicker the top rated with my planned setup is the Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler. Would this also be considered overkill?