upcoming connectors

Hi everyone 🙂

I'm not sure where I should post this question (or if I should split it into multiple ones).

I'm wondering if there is currently any info/rumors about the following:

- Most current mainstream CPU coolers are compatible with sockets 115X, 1200 and AM4. What about the next AMD socket (AM5)? Will it require new coolers? On the intel side, AFAIU LGA1700 will be larger and rectangular. Thus current coolers will be incompatible.

- Most recent PC cases provide front USB-C ports that are connected to the MB via a USB type-E header. What about future USB4.0? I know it will use USB-C ports but is there anything different in the cables? Will current front IO ports be compatible with future MB supporting USB4.0 headers?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Best,

-a-

Short and simple answer is ... nobody knows.

AM5 socket will have to add support for DDR5 which ... as far as I know ... doesn't have a significantly higher number of pins, so there's no need to increase pin count and therefore socket size just for DDR5. But, AMD may chose to increase the number of pci-e lanes, or add more System On chip functionality inside the CPU which may require more pins, which may require a larger socket, which may require new mounting holes and so you'd need another mounting mechanism for existing coolers or new coolers altogether. 

You may also need new coolers if they decide to move from PGA (pin grid array, processors with pins) to the LGA sockets like they had to do with Thunderbird and Epyc due to pin count.. basically a pga socket and a lga socket have different heights and different mounting pressures, so I imagine you'd need new cooler or a different mounting mechanism to endure good pressure.

Historically, AMD is not known for forcing people to upgrade stuff on purpose, like Intel is with their cpu sockets and chipsets...

Thank you @mariushmfor the short answer 🙂 and thanks a lot for the long one 😉

I'd argue that current coolers are compatible with intel LGA115X/1200 and AMD PGA AM4, so that part of your reply isn't very clear to me.

Once again, thank for taking the time to sum up things for me and make it more clear indeed.

Best,

-a-

2 minutes ago, asheenlevrai said:

Thank you @mariushmfor the short answer 🙂 and thanks a lot for the long one 😉

I'd argue that current coolers are compatible with intel LGA115X/1200 and AMD PGA AM4, so that part of your reply isn't very clear to me.

Most of them are compatible through using different brackets and screws and sometimes custom backplates... basically installing different mounting methods to the actual cooler.

You often can't directly pull the cooler off a socket 115x and directly install it on a socket AM4

So you may need to buy socket AM5 / whatever intel socket brackets and screws (IF the manufacturer even decides to sell them separately for older coolers)