Would different storage space RAMs with same frequency work fine?

Go to solution Solved by AnirbanG007,
1 minute ago, Mahmudul Hasan said:

Okay. Can you explain why it would not be dual channel all the way since the frequency matches on both?

Because they are of different capacities. Let's divide the 16 gb of G.Skill into 2, 8 gb's, one of the 8 gb's will run in dual channel mode with the Corsair 8 gb stick, so you do get dual channel, but the remaining 8 gb on the G.Skill will run in single channel. This is called Flex Mode.

I am currently using a G.Skill Trident Z 16GB single stick RAM. I do have a spare RAM from Corsair Vengence LPX 8GB. Thinking of using this 8GB RAM with the 16GB single stick one.The cache latency is 16-18-18-36 on the Corsair Vengence LPX one. The cache latency on my running G.Skill stick is 16-18-18-38. The photo of the RAM information is attached herewith.

Would the both RAM work on my PC well or any problem I might face if running both together? Any suggestion from the experts is welcomed.

dsgs.PNG

1429752800_20210220_1206351.jpg.5f93f4ee38b2432eac7d0755d0be9cbe.jpg

24 minutes ago, Mahmudul Hasan said:

I am currently using a G.Skill Trident Z 16GB single stick RAM. I do have a spare RAM from Corsair Vengence LPX 8GB. Thinking of using this 8GB RAM with the 16GB single stick one.The cache latency is 16-18-18-36 on the Corsair Vengence LPX one. The cache latency on my running G.Skill stick is 16-18-18-38. The photo of the RAM information is attached herewith.

Would the both RAM work on my PC well or any problem I might face if running both together? Any suggestion from the experts is welcomed.

I don't think you'd have any problem running these two together. Of course it wouldn't be dual channel all the way, but that's not what we're concerned about here today. Also, it's CAS latency (Column Access Strobe).

Attention is what makes life meaningful.

Also, please quote me for a reply. 🙂

4 minutes ago, AnirbanG007 said:

I don't think you'd have any problem running these two together. Of course it wouldn't be dual channel all the way, but that's not what we're concerned about here today. Also, it's CAS latency (Column Access Strobe).

Okay. Can you explain why it would not be dual channel all the way since the frequency matches on both?

1 minute ago, Mahmudul Hasan said:

Because they are of different capacities. Let's divide the 16 gb of G.Skill into 2, 8 gb's, one of the 8 gb's will run in dual channel mode with the Corsair 8 gb stick, so you do get dual channel, but the remaining 8 gb on the G.Skill will run in single channel. This is called Flex Mode.

4 minutes ago, AnirbanG007 said:

Ohh. Then would this Flex Mode be better than my current go with 16GB single stick? Using the PC focused on gaming mostly FYI.

2 minutes ago, Mahmudul Hasan said:

Ohh. Then would this Flex Mode be better than my current go with 16GB single stick? Using the PC focused on gaming mostly FYI.

Of course it would be. You're increasing capacity and running some of the total RAM in dual channel with a RAM stick that was lying around, nothing to lose...

1 minute ago, AnirbanG007 said:

Of course it would be. You're increasing capacity and running some of the total RAM in dual channel with a RAM stick that was lying around, nothing to lose...

Thank you very much for the time and help. Gratitude.