Replacing current boot drive with higher capacity SSD

Hi LTT forum. My friend is currently replacing his SSD which has his OS on it to a larger capacity SSD. What is the best way to go about this? He currently has a large capacity HDD as well as the current boot drive. 

Of course, removing this and replacing it means that there’s no longer any OS on the system. 

Would reinstalling windows from an external SSD be the best course of action? Any advice would be great. 

You can copy the partitions from the system drive to the new drive for free using something like macrium reflect. Provided you can connect both the old drive and the new drive to the system at the same time either by m.2, sata or usb adaptor, depending on what kind of ssd it is

I'm an IT System Admin with 15+ years worth of XP, plus I've been tinkering computers since I was old enough to hold a screwdriver, so I usually know what I'm talking about.

8 minutes ago, ObsidianAura said:

You can copy the partitions from the system drive to the new drive for free using something like macrium reflect. Provided you can connect both the old drive and the new drive to the system at the same time either by m.2, sata or usb adaptor, depending on what kind of ssd it is

Thanks for the swift response. If we unplug the HDD and then boot the system up, transfer from the old SSD to the new SSD, remove the old SSD completely and reconnect the HDD, would that work?

He has only 2 x sata ports and no M.2 slot. 

Yes that would be how I'd do it.

The only potential issue I can foresee is if the allocation size unit size between the old and new SSDs is not compatible but that is unlikely, and there are ways round that if you have a pc spare.

I'm an IT System Admin with 15+ years worth of XP, plus I've been tinkering computers since I was old enough to hold a screwdriver, so I usually know what I'm talking about.

16 minutes ago, ObsidianAura said:

Yes that would be how I'd do it.

The only potential issue I can foresee is if the allocation size unit size between the old and new SSDs is not compatible but that is unlikely, and there are ways round that if you have a pc spare.

Thank you for your help. I will return to let you know the good or bad news later today.