Asus Xonar DX 7.1 Review( more like my Experiences)

i got my self a  ASUS XONAR DX sound card so i can enjoy my music and movies the way they are supposed to. and also to have some decent recording quality.( yes i know its not a Pro grade card but ill explain my reasoning later)

so before this sound card i used to have a M-Audio 2496 sound card this is basically a pro grade sound card that wont need you to sell a part of your body. but nonetheless it had awesome recording quality. but after a while what i discovered is that it was good for monitoring and mixing audio but it was limited in terms of other little thing that comes with all the consumer grade cards like more than stereo channels and etc.

now that i have this card i have almost the same recording quality but not having to compromise any listening enjoyment. i do not use 5.1 or 7.1 set up what i have is 2 very high quality speakers(3 way with up to 500w each) from JVC (yes these are more than 10 years old but sounds better than any thing else i have tried) i have them connected to a Creative Labs Sub-Woofer.( soon getting a proper Amplifier)

with out going to all the boring and meaning less specification or number that a real sound card or any audio equipment should have i will go with whats the differences i can hear.

when comparing to the on-board sound its a 100% better in every way. much clear and more pronounced trebles (using the hell out of that 1 inch twitter on the speakers) and with the software you can use the 10 band EQ to change it to the levels you want. the advantage of this apposed to having it in on the player is, this applies across every sound source even YouTube.

Bass sound much better and deep and does not mask out other sounds like the highs or the middles so you you wont have to struggle to listen to the voice of the singer or the actor.

as for recording, when used with proper equipment i was able to get good recording quality.(not going for the studio quality. just want some thing that does not make the music or the voice sound flat or add more than wanted white noise)

so all in all the point is its a good Card but to really take full advantage of it you will need the rest of the proper audio  equipment. at least a good pair of Headphones is a good starting point. 

hope i don't sound like some one that talks "carp" but i really do know what i am talking about, just don't know who to put it in to words.

if any one have any thing else to add or to correct me please don't hesitate.  

• 3 months later...

Great input.

I also purchased the Asus Xonar DX to replace my onboard audio chipset on a Z77A-GD65. I had ~good audio already but wanted to experience what everyone is talking about when they upgraded to a dedicated sound card. I use it with a set of stereo speakers and the Siberia V2 headset. The quality of sound produced by my audio equipment has improved drastically. The audio volume is much louder>clearer>defined with the dedicated sound card. I cant believe I have not invested in one earlier. I would recommend anyone who wants improved sound quality from their audio equipment invest in a dedicated sound card.

• 1 month later...

I bought this sound card, but I'm not impressed. Not much of a difference between ALC889 and Xonar DX. For me only Dolby effects were significant difference, but in my case they do nothing good. I bought this sound card in replacement for G35 which were to tight and were heavy. I use it with Razer Carcharias. Dolby Effects makes sound more spacious but that's all. I wanted such good sound positioning as in Logitech G35, to feel that I'm in battle, like i felt with Logitech G35. Now I'm stuck with for me useless card and I don't know which headphones will make it shine. I don't know if they even could be close to G35 solution which is i suppose synergy of audio chip and great software. I need to decide whether or not to return it. Sad... 

I bought this sound card, but I'm not impressed. Not much of a difference between ALC889 and Xonar DX. For me only Dolby effects were significant difference, but in my case they do nothing good. I bought this sound card in replacement for G35 which were to tight and were heavy. I use it with Razer Carcharias. Dolby Effects makes sound more spacious but that's all. I wanted such good sound positioning as in Logitech G35, to feel that I'm in battle, like i felt with Logitech G35. Now I'm stuck with for me useless card and I don't know which headphones will make it shine. I don't know if they even could be close to G35 solution which is i suppose synergy of audio chip and great software. I need to decide whether or not to return it. Sad... 

Are you connecting the Razer Carcharias via USB or 3.5mm?

I've got older carcharias'es so only jack. Doesn't matter now, i returned Xonar. I will buy Logitech G35 again.